Discuss Where's the earth go? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrics

Esteemed
Reaction score
20211012_142005.jpg
Earth has been snipped off, obviously.

I thought that earth wasn't required since the connections appear to be in some sort of maintenance free box, but is this right? If not, i can't see anywhere the earth could go.

EDIT just clocked the double insulated symbol, so i'm presuming that even though metal it doesn't need it.

Last edited:
Yep, as you
View attachment 91029
Earth has been snipped off, obviously.

I thought that earth wasn't required since the connections appear to be in some sort of maintenance free box, but is this right? If not, i can't see anywhere the earth could go.

EDIT just clocked the double insulated symbol, so i'm presuming that even though metal it doesn't need it.

Yep, as you say it's double insulated so does not require an earth connection.

But the incoming supply to the light has basic insulation exposed inside the fitting, which could come into contact with the metal of the fitting, depending on positioning of the wires. Ideally these cables would be in enclosed in the small white box, but obviously that has not happened. Therefore I'd say as it currently is installed, it doesn't qualify to be double insulated.

But the incoming supply to the light has basic insulation exposed inside the fitting, which could come into contact with the metal of the fitting, depending on positioning of the wires. Ideally these cables would be in enclosed in the small white box, but obviously that has not happened. Therefore I'd say as it currently is installed, it doesn't qualify to be double insulated.
Hmm fair point.

Those little white connection boxes usually have a rubber "boot" of sorts on the incoming side that would cover where the unsheathed bits are. Quite often found they've not been used!

In general those connectors are crap, if you had two 1mm's you're going to struggle let alot two 1.5mm's.

Those connection boxes are awful, barely enough space for the cable in them. More and more fittings seem to come with them these days,

@littlespark
I have been known to earth the fitting and then put wago connectors in a tiny gelbox with no gel they will just fit in some of them not all though!

I think it's laughable at what can be called class 2 just by a bit of extra sleeving on the cables and a carp joint box!

I think they just print it on regardless, I had a fitting the other day that said it was class2 and it also had an earth connection to the fitting!
?

I’ve found many of these that homeowners have fitted, dumped the little box as it’s so fiddly, basically dropping the class II.

What’s wrong with making it class I and supplying an earth terminal?

@littlespark
I came across some class2 brass wall lamps the other week that the previous person had done that, but they had kept the two brass connectors and wrapped them in tape behind the fitting. Lovely!
It's probably a price thing why they don't supply an earth!

@littlespark
I came across some class2 brass wall lamps the other week that the previous person had done that, but they had kept the two brass connectors and wrapped them in tape behind the fitting. Lovely!
It's probably a price thing why they don't supply an earth!

I suspect it's to make the production process easier and cheaper - there is no need to do a high current earth bond test on the production line if there is no earth terminal. And the design and construction is easier because earth continuity does not have to be ensured between each metal component.

Well this is in my own house. Fitting is 2m up so no chance the kids can touch it but i think i might wago a bit of earth wire in there just for peace of mind. Gonna get a lad at work to rewire it with me eventually because it badly needs it. RCD protection is in place though so it's OK for now but deffo needs an overhaul.

Reply to Where's the earth go? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net