Discuss Which laser level would you suggest? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all.

I am going to invest in a laser level as I am getting more and more larger domestic jobs and I am finding it a right pain to go all around the walls with my spirit level. It will be used predominantly for levelling sockets/switches around the room.

I have started looking and as with everything these days there is a huge choice and it gets confusing.

I have no experience with these so was hoping for some advice on what characteristics of the a laser level you find very useful, i.e 360°, bright light etc.

Also, any suggestions on which ones to buy?

Budget of <£200 including the tripod and any extras.

The dewalt DW0811-XJ360 looks good?

I also like the look of the dewalt DW088K but I don't think it is 360°, do you guys find 360° very useful?

Cheers.

I don't actually get on with the 360° ones very well, well i presume they still have the spinning dot that runs around the room? Probably just me lol

Instead i bought a bosch cross hair style one and a hama camera tripod, can then be spun to the wall your working on, just an alternative route to look at anyway

I still have a stanley cubix self levelling laser. Had it for years. Was about £40 I think. It's not a 360, but covers two walls and as we can only work on one at a time its never an issue. A really great tool and you will wish you had got one ages ago.

Haven't we had this conversation before, or was it someone else :D

Anyhows here's what I posted on the subject before;

'I had a Bosch one, till I damaged it, and then found out Bosch do not do spares.

I got a Stanley SCL-D, which has cross levels & plumb spots. It can also be used on its back (when locked) to align things on ceilings, for marking down lights, cable/trunking runs etc. It also has the added advantage of being repaired with spares!

I purchased it on-line from a laser-level company ( :) ) , which have a good web site, demonstrating what the various laser levels can do.

A few more questions..

It looks like the AA batteries run out pretty quickly. I'm guessing you all use rechargeable AA batteries? Or, perhaps if this tool isn't used that much or for that long non-rechargeable are fine?

Batteries are fine, unless you leave it on use it all day. Mine's a red laser, green is better in bright conditions, although the kit I got came with a set of red lens glasses, which picks up the red laser line.

PS, just checked, my Stanley has automatic power off, guess the other makes do as well.

Last edited:
What sort of height are you looking at using it on the tripod at? As alot of them will only start at about 600mm due to the legs of them, you may be better getting a pole kit so you can use it a lot lower, but they work floor to ceiling so you would have to loom for one that would fit them dimensions onsite.

I'd spend a little extra and get the Dewalt DCE088D1G. If you get a red one you'll be trying to cover windows in bright summer days to see your line.

I don't have a tripod or that - I usually screw a 25mm 2 gang flush box to the wall and use the magnet on the laser.

I agree. You can pick up the Dewalt DCE088D1G for £232.94 on eBay. It's worth every penny, and you won't be disappointed, I assure you. I've used several lasers over the years, and the DCE088D1G is without the question the best. If you decide to buy this excellent piece of kit, also consider investing an extra £55.00 and get yourself a DE0881 tripod.

I'd spend a little extra and get the Dewalt DCE088D1G. If you get a red one you'll be trying to cover windows in bright summer days to see your line.

I don't have a tripod or that - I usually screw a 25mm 2 gang flush box to the wall and use the magnet on the laser.

I agree. You can pick up the Dewalt DCE088D1G for £232.94 on eBay. It's worth every penny, and you won't be disappointed, I assure you. I've used several lasers over the years, and the DCE088D1G is without the question the best. If you decide to buy this excellent piece of kit, also consider investing an extra £55.00 and get yourself a DE0881 tripod.

The DCE088D1G does seem to have extremely good reviews!

I'm guessing it is just run on 10.8v dewalt batteries. A bit of an investment seeing as though all my kit is Makita, but i'm still tempted.

Also, do you know of any pole kits/ clever ideas (as Dillb says above) for this laser level so it can be used lower than 600mm (the tripod only goes down to 600mm)?

The DCE088D1G does seem to have extremely good reviews!

I'm guessing it is just run on 10.8v dewalt batteries. A bit of an investment seeing as though all my kit is Makita, but i'm still tempted.

Also, do you know of any pole kits/ clever ideas (as Dillb says above) for this laser level so it can be used lower than 600mm (the tripod only goes down to 600mm)?
All my kit is 18v Makita, I bought that laser back in July and it is absolutely superb. I already have a red laser (Dewalt DW087k) and the difference is mind blowing.

If you need something to mount it on for lower than 600mm get a telescopic pole. I have one somewhere but never use it.

Also when setting boxes set the laser for the centre lugs on the boxes rather than the top or bottom of the box. Much much easier.

Nobody's really mentioned mentioned 360°, apart from suffolk who didn't really like it. Would it not be useful?

All my kit is 18v Makita, I bought that laser back in July and it is absolutely superb. I already have a red laser (Dewalt DW087k) and the difference is mind blowing.

If you need something to mount it on for lower than 600mm get a telescopic pole. I have one somewhere but never use it.

Also when setting boxes set the laser for the centre lugs on the boxes rather than the top or bottom of the box. Much much easier.

What sort of telescopic pole 123? Could you send a link to one if possible? Cheers.

Here you go. They go floor to ceiling. I have a Bosch one I never use but have to hang some pictures at home later so gonna see if I can find it to do that. For work as I've said I screw a backbox to the wall and use it
Thanks for that 123. Last question! Can all these telescopic poles be used with the dewalt laser? Do they have some kind of generic joining part?

I think the decision has been made!
I've also just seen your postings on a similar thread in July 123 :D. You do like this laser don't you!

Thanks all for the information, it really is good of you to take the time to share your experiences/views.

Only downside is I'm now spending £100 more than expected!o_O:)

I think the decision has been made!
I've also just seen your postings on a similar thread in July 123 :D. You do like this laser don't you!

Thanks all for the information, it really is good of you to take the time to share your experiences/views.

Only downside is I'm now spending £100 more than expected!o_O:)
Spend once, spend wisely. The Dewalt DW088K is a good laser level at a very good price. It's red though, but batteries would last well. The green upgrade on that unit eats batteries. The 10.8v is an absolute beast though. I was doing a kitchen install a few weeks ago and had to do a little bit of work in the summer house at the back of the garden - the green line projected right down and could be clearly seen in it lol.

I haven't had the need yet and may never, but Dewalt 10.8v tools are pretty cheap (sub £100 for Impact, Combi, 2 batteries, 1 charger!). Could easily add to the tool collection if the need arises.

The thread on the base of most laser levels is the same, and it's the same as a camera tripod etc.

Reply to Which laser level would you suggest? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net