Discuss Which Megger Tester? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

red

Hello All,
I have been reading the threads on here for months and thought I may aswell ask for your help on my dilemma.

I'm after some advice on which tester would be most suitable?
Im looking at either getting the megger CM500 or MFT 1553 and I was wondering if any of you use either of these and if they are suitable.

I have never had to buy my own tester before and dont want to make a mistake as it would prove an expensive one!!!

It would be for domestic installations and from what I have read they both have all of the functions that are required for certification.

Am I write in thinking this and in your experiences would one be more suitable than the other?

Many Thanks
Red

Personally I've got the MFT and I'm very happy with it. If you can buy it with the software package, I've found them both very easy to use, for beginners the dial on the tester and the columns on the megger test sheets are colour coded so you've no excuse to put the results in the wrong place. There are no hidden menus so again very easy to use. If you completely test a circuit then move on to the next then the bluetooth will probably work for you but if you do all the r1r2 tests then.... it will be a pain and its easier to just tap it in. Worth trying test4less for a good deal.

Cheers Clinger. Not seen that website before.

Thanks for the reply.

You pay your money, you take your choice. I personally use the Megger 1553 and the full soft wear package as i use it for PAT testing as-well.

Others on here swear by Fluke but they are the wrong colour for me:D

Im not keen on the day glow yellow either.

Iv decided on a megger and looks like the 1553 is favourite!

Thanks for the reply Spark-doctor.

Ive been thinking-reluctantly to upgrading my gear and was just wondering if someone who has the bluetooth megger& software could let me know - is it worth it?

Yes it is! Only because it's cheaper than buying them individually.
I find it too much like hard work setting up the bluetooth for domestic work and the order I test in doesn't suit using it either.
If you do commercial and do all the tests for a circuit then go onto the next it'll work a treat but I do all the r1r2's then etc etc and you then have to tell it where the results go.

hi there i may be able to help you. i am year 4 apprentice and have been lucky enough to win a megger mft 1553 tester, however i already have a multi function tester provided to me by my employer so i dont really need it, i could do you a good deal on one perhaps?

Nice prize.... all i ever win is cheap wine!

How much?
Which version is it (power suite) and is it new?

Bloody hell they are good units !
i see some really good offers on the net for these complete. Does yours have the cert?

if you price it right you will sell it. trouble is most demand NEW and want to claim the VAT back

its brand new in box
yes it downloads to the new powersuite but does not include the software,
cheapest i can find on the net is £625 ebay, i'd sell this one for £610 including first class recorded delivery

Reply to Which Megger Tester? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock