Discuss Who's right? Hopefully me! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Drew34

Yesterday whilst doing my practical assessment (2365 level 2) I caused a bit of a stink.
I was working on a couple of 2 way switches with singles through pvc conduit.
As the training centre boss walked past he started over me having blue cable at the switches.
He kept saying 'why have you got neutrals?'
My response was ' I haven't. I'm going to sleeve them brown. Surly it's not neutral if it's not doing what a neutral should do it's just a cable until terminated.'
My tutor had no problem with this method.
Maybe I should have just smiled and pleased him.
Was I right?

I'm all for being put straight that's what learning is all about. To learn I need to be shown right. Centre boss says no but my tutor says yes. It's no issue for me to pull them and redo next week. Just after opinions on conflicting information.
Your input is needed as being new I've not earned the right to question these people

I'm all for being put straight that's what learning is all about. To learn I need to be shown right. Centre boss says no but my tutor says yes. It's no issue for me to pull them and redo next week. Just after opinions on conflicting information.
Your input is needed as being new I've not earned the right to question these people
I would question both the Boss and the Tutor, if you are being given conflicting advice, then the Center is at fault. imo

The boss is the man but my tutor assesses me. Would have pulled it out but to be told it's ok just sleeve it.
Got the impression that they clash a bit and my silly mistake just added fuel to the fire.
Just asked the electrician I do bits with and I got a text back saying 'lol. You really are special'

The boss is the man but my tutor assesses me. Would have pulled it out but to be told it's ok just sleeve it.
Got the impression that they clash a bit and my silly mistake just added fuel to the fire.
Just asked the electrician I do bits with and I got a text back saying 'lol. You really are special'
If you get grief or fail, I would contact the Sponsor or the CP Scheme they are affiliated to.

Thing is I know what I did was stupid. However I've not decided to enter the industry to be a bodge artist. I'm in it for the long haul and one day would like to be known for being good!!!

the only reason we use blue with a brown sleeve is when using T/E where there's no option. in ROI, they use twin brown for switch cables.

I'm just stressing and unfortunately came here to rant. But on the plus side I know never to do it again.
Maybe I should have just said ' don't worry my mates an electrician and he's gonna change it when he's back off holiday'

I'm just stressing and unfortunately came here to rant. But on the plus side I know never to do it again.
Maybe I should have just said ' don't worry my mates an electrician and he's gonna change it when he's back off holiday'
Sorry I must be getting the wrong end of the stick is this in a training centre or on site, if on-site why are you unsupervised.

From the point of view of compliance with the regulations it is possible to sleeve a blue single brown and use it as a line conductor. From a practical and good workmanship point of view it is not good to use a cable that could be misidentified; because you would be expected to use brown in this case brown should be used and this makes a safer and better installation.

Reply to Who's right? Hopefully me! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net