Discuss Why does new 1700 watt microwave keep burning out my 20amp dedicated breaker? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

is the microwave on 120V or 240V?
120. Psuedo professional electrician told me I need to run a 10 gauge wire to the box. But I assume 12 would do it. What else could it be? The outlet stops working even though the breaker is still switched on. Sensor pen tells me there’s still some electricity flowing but not enough for a light.

Breakers don't usually stop working due to overload because that's what they are there to protect against. They should trip before being damaged. Therefore I agree with @westward10 that the first breaker might actually still be OK but was not making good contact with the busbar in the panel. Replacing the breaker re-made the contact for a while, and now it has gone open-circuit again, or some similar explanation other than the breaker itself. Or, the breakers are faulty (are they from the same source / batch?)

In this scenario the non-contact sensor is not the best tool for tracing as it may not clearly show the difference between a genuinely hot wire and one that is floating. However, if with the breaker and oven both switched on and the outlet apparently dead, just check whether it lights on both the hot and neutral of the circuit, because if it does that clearly points to a bad neutral connection at the panel which you might not have checked yet.

I would check the breakers away from the panel with a continuity tester as this will prove quickly whether there is a circuit through either or both of them, without relying on the contact through the panel busbar.

The #10 wiring thing seems to be a red herring. If the circuit is very long then #10 might be needed for optimum voltage at the outlet, but it shouldn't in any way affect the breaker. This is new, copper wiring yes? Not a re-used old aluminum circuit?

Breakers don't usually stop working due to overload because that's what they are there to protect against. They should trip before being damaged. Therefore I agree with @westward10 that the first breaker might actually still be OK but was not making good contact with the busbar in the panel. Replacing the breaker re-made the contact for a while, and now it has gone open-circuit again, or some similar explanation other than the breaker itself. Or, the breakers are faulty (are they from the same source / batch?)

In this scenario the non-contact sensor is not the best tool for tracing as it may not clearly show the difference between a genuinely hot wire and one that is floating. However, if with the breaker and oven both switched on and the outlet apparently dead, just check whether it lights on both the hot and neutral of the circuit, because if it does that clearly points to a bad neutral connection at the panel which you might not have checked yet.

I would check the breakers away from the panel with a continuity tester as this will prove quickly whether there is a circuit through either or both of them, without relying on the contact through the panel busbar.

The #10 wiring thing seems to be a red herring. If the circuit is very long then #10 might be needed for optimum voltage at the outlet, but it shouldn't in any way affect the breaker. This is new, copper wiring yes? Not a re-used old aluminum circuit?
First, thank you for your time everyone, I appreciate it. Copper wire, newer box, old 1200w microwave was connected to a15amp outlet and same 20 amp breaker for several years. After installing new microwave it stops drawing power after a few cooks. I replaced the outlet to a 20 amp and still nothing. I replaced the breaker and it worked again. Until the same thing happened a couple days later. Breaker and everything is solidly connected. As an ametuer I don’t have the testing equip or knowledge about breaker to see if it still works. There is one other thing I did and that was run another 5 foot wire off the outlet for the gas range below to plug into. (Just for clock, spark and timer) However, nothing was plugged into it or drawing extra power both times it went out. Should I try a gfi outlet? I don’t know how to get it working again other than installing another (3rd)new breaker.

Reply to Why does new 1700 watt microwave keep burning out my 20amp dedicated breaker? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net