Discuss why in old houses did they..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Fit pendants about a foot from the window I have heard theories over the years be good to get an opinion from someone on here that may have wired one in the 1930' s lol
J

Attachments

• why in old houses did they..... 20120822_174431 - EletriciansForums.net
    20120822_174431.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 333
2 things one was to replicate light coming from the window the other was not to cast a shadow as a lot of lights did not have shades more common in bathrooms ie nearer to the window so as not to cast a shadow

Remembering back some 30+ years my college tutor explained that lights were set near to windows in bedrooms to prevent occupier being silhouetted in window when light was turned on - but I 'm open to other theories

yep. a combination of simulating window light and for the ladies to get dressed/undressed without being between the light and the curtains.

i was told when doing my apprenticeship they were put closer to the window for privacy so that women getting dressed (or doing other things perhaps) wouldn't cast a shadow onto the curtains sparing thus their blushes

lasted into the sixties. not thaat long ago. along with spider wiring in the attic. loverrly JBs with 8/10 cables bodged in

No electrical but following the same privacy rule as above,

Another one you don't always see nowadays is doors to rooms were always hung so they hid the view into the room when the door was partly open.

Nope,no-ones got it.It was because apprentices didnt have torches or led's and had to be near the window to see those microscopic brass slotted screws.Those years on time-team were not wasted......:conehead:

Another one ish,

Pendant switch above the bed, flex hanging down with a switch on.

I fitted one in my first house, bought in 1972.

Non of your modern string and plastic dongle rubbish.

Nope,no-ones got it.It was because apprentices didnt have torches or led's and had to be near the window to see those microscopic brass slotted screws.Those years on time-team were not wasted......:conehead:

slotted screws and Apprentices were never a problem. just give 'em a hammer. the slots are for removal of the screws.

Reply to why in old houses did they..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock