Discuss Why isnt the RCD tripping? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just completed an EICR.
The install is TT, Ze is 308 ohms.
Zs on all circuits is <1.5 ohm due to bonding.
There is an up front 30mA RCD which trips with the push button but does not trip when tested either at a socket, light or actually in the RCD itself.
I know the RCD is faulty as I had a spare RCBO which I used and tripped as it should.

The lighting circuit had N-E IR readings of 0.27ohms. All other circuits were >2M ohms.

My question is why did the RCBO not trip instantly when I powered up this circuit through the RCBO?

N-E fault. do you mean 0.27 ohms or 0.27 M ohms? either way a N-E fault can stop a RCD from tripping.

My initial post may sound a bit confusing as I'm tired!

Put simply, the IR test N-E is 0.27 ohms not M ohms and the RCBO does not trip when the circuit is powered up. It trips as it should do when tested.

Why does it not trip instantly when the circuit is energised with a N-E fault of 0.27ohms?

the N-E fault is inhibiting the RCD from tripping. the theory escapes me, but believe me, it's a fact.

My kewteck 64 does not trip an rcd on a TT system if the Ze is too high. If it’s over 300 - 400ohms.

This has happened a couple of times.

If I put an additional rod in lowering the Ze it works fine.

Don’t know why.

The neutral return even though there is a fault to earth which sounds like a solid connection between the two may not necessarily decide to follow the earth path. It just keeps to the neutral because it is possibly the path of least resistance being a TT system hence no imbalance.

Your relatively high 270 thousand ohm resistance of neutral to earth (combined with a high resistance earth return) is sufficiently high enough that there is not enough leakage to earth to imbalance the RCBO in the normal working conditions

My kewteck 64 does not trip an rcd on a TT system if the Ze is too high. If it’s over 300 - 400ohms.

This has happened a couple of times.

If I put an additional rod in lowering the Ze it works fine.

Don’t know why.
Yes, but the zs is <1.5ohms.

Your relatively high 270 thousand ohm resistance of neutral to earth (combined with a high resistance earth return) is sufficiently high enough that there is not enough leakage to earth to imbalance the RCBO in the normal working conditions
It's 0.27 ohms Des, not 0.27M

There is an up front 30mA RCD which trips with the push button but does not trip when tested either at a socket, light or actually in the RCD itself.
I know the RCD is faulty as I had a spare RCBO which I used and tripped as it should.

When you tested at the RCD did you disconnect the outgoing conductors or disconnect L and N of every circuit?

How does the tripping of your spare RCBO prove that this RCD is faulty? Surely all that proves is that you have a working RCBO?
Testing the RCD with all outgoing conductors disconnected proves whether or not the RCD is working.

When you tested at the RCD did you disconnect the outgoing conductors or disconnect L and N of every circuit?

How does the tripping of your spare RCBO prove that this RCD is faulty? Surely all that proves is that you have a working RCBO?
Testing the RCD with all outgoing conductors disconnected proves whether or not the RCD is working.
I didn't disconnect the outgoing conductors. I've seen you have this discussion a few times with others Dave, although I can't remember the outcomes.
If for example I did disconnect the outgoing conductors and the RCD then tested ok would you be happy leaving it in place knowing that at any of the circuits it wil not trip when tested (i.e shows >40ms on x5, >300 on x 1 and >33ma on ramp test). Also, with the above in mind when an RCBO is added to one of the circuits it trips as expected when tested when the RCD in question does not (under exactly the same circumstances).

I didn't disconnect the outgoing conductors. I've seen you have this discussion a few times with others Dave, although I can't remember the outcomes.
If for example I did disconnect the outgoing conductors and the RCD then tested ok would you be happy leaving it in place knowing that at any of the circuits it wil not trip when tested

Then how can you know that it is not an outgoing circuit which is causing the RCD to not trip rather than being a faulty RCD.
As the job is an EICR yes I would leave it as it is and code it accordingly, I expect either an FI or C2 code depending on the exact situation on site. The job is to report on the condition of the installation.
If I was testing for any other reason no I wouldn't just leave it as is but I would get to the bottom of the problem and repair or quote to repair as appropriate.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there some models or RCBO that need testing at the output not at the screw? Something to do with where part of the sensing coil is located.

Seem to remember reading about it on here, but have not seen this first hand.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there some models or RCBO that need testing at the output not at the screw? Something to do with where part of the sensing coil is located.

Seem to remember reading about it on here, but have not seen this first hand.

Yes, it's the memshield 2 with the site fitted RCBO pod because the coil is in the pod so ends up after the screw terminal.

Reply to Why isnt the RCD tripping? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock