Discuss wire identification in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

billathome65

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys I just disconnected an old shower ceiling as a false ceiling is being installed and I noticed two wires have tape round them the red load wire and a black wire. Is this like a switch live as the switch back plate has 2 live 1 load and 1 neutral connectors.

Photo0265.jpg

Cheers

TBH I'm not sure what's going on there, at one time it was marked up by the looks of things but now it's been disconnected there's no way of knowing for sure what is what without testing each wire. I'd make all the wires safe by putting them all into separate connector blocks and taping them up for now. Obviously leave the shower circuit isolated then once you've replaced the ceiling get a sparky in just for an hour to test the circuit and connect everything back up again.

I have checked the wireing and it shows the red as load obviously the other red is from the shower we have a black = neutral its just this taped black that is throwing me if need be I'll get a spark in once the ceiling is up but I was hoping one of you guys could confirm my suspicion that this is another live as the switch plate has 3 live connections and only one neutral this wire was going into a live point on the switch.

Cheers

This is one of those times where we have to say "get an electrician in". Going by that photo, this is more than a DIY job. If they have done that in a ciling, God only knows if it is spurred off to anything else or the condition of the cable, hope its still not in use/energized?

This is one of those times where we have to say "get an electrician in". Going by that photo, this is more than a DIY job. If they have done that in a ceiling, God only knows if it is spurred off to anything else or the condition of the cable, hope its still not in use/energized?

Cheers the fuse has been removed at the moment so no power to it. No it is not spurred off I have checked everything else round the house and everything is working fine I would have thought the wire was netral but as the shower switch has a loud 2 live and one neutral this wire was defo going into one of the connectors black to the shower weas going to the neutral this was defo not going into that so that only leaves one of the live points?? I am getting telectrix to do a test on my wireing soon so will ask him to sort this out to unless I can figure it out in the meantime.
Cheers

Bill

Last edited:

Reply to wire identification in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net