Discuss Wire sizes and volts. Pls help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken123

Hi guys im new here. Need some help and advices i will be thankful.

I want to change the ceilng ligh okay now i have bought 3 pieces the problem is these ceiling have cheap thin copper wire its like car 12v wires or thinner i think its 0.5mm while the ceiling wire is thick and old i think its 1.25mm is there a problem if i connected these wires together or its not good idea?

Thank you.

Wire thickness in this case isn't to do with the voltage, it's the amperage it can safely carry. Most (good quality) fittings will have a info leaflet with them telling you all the voltage/amperage info about a product. If you read that it may help you more, and if you're still not sure hire an electrician to advise you.

Without any more information about the fitting and type of wiring I doubt anyone here can help you with any degree of certainty. Maybe one of the forumites are in your area and can help?

I don't want to sound unhelpful, but I think you need an electrician to do this for you, or at least check what you're planning is safe.

It seems to me you are saying the fixed wiring cable is bigger than the light fitting cable that it is to be connected to
If I have got the drift of what you intend,if its a genuine British standard manufactured item(not some Diy effort) it should be ok

The smaller cable that is on the light fitting is designed to carry the current that the fitting will take,the fixed wiring may be larger because it may have to carry the current of other lights as well as the one you are fitting

It seems to me you are saying the fixed wiring cable is bigger than the light fitting cable that it is to be connected to
If I have got the drift of what you intend,if its a genuine British standard manufactured item(not some Diy effort) it should be ok

The smaller cable that is on the light fitting is designed to carry the current that the fitting will take,the fixed wiring may be larger because it may have to carry the current of other lights as well as the one you are fitting

Yes that what i meant the fixed cables are thicker the light cables are thiner and made china few months ago i used a light holder with thin cables then the holder melted on the bulb ! So i guess its not good idea to fit that cheap ceiling light

Can't help but read his posts like a comedy China man.

I didnt speak english since a time thats why i forgot grammers and things plus its difficult to talk about specific thing in other language its not like the daily talk like you go to grocery or simple thing. Try to learn another language and you will know how its difficult. Btw funny pic

Hi Ken: The wiring in the ceiling will be thicker as it needs to carry more current.
Personally, if it's a cheap Chinese fitting then I wouldn't risk my Family or Property by installing it.

Where are you situated Mate I did ask yesterday but no response, your profile says "K" reason it it's close to me I would come and have a look at it for you.
could be kent,kettering, keswick, or, if he's an educated bloke, kambridge or koxford.

Reply to Wire sizes and volts. Pls help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net