Discuss Wiring a container in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've got 4 containers, each needs a 6ft light and a switch wiring which is no problem. But I'm having trouble working out the best way to gain access to run the cables. These are bare containers used for storage of materials so no wood or anything to actually fix the lights too either.

Has anyone done this before? If so, what would you suggest?

I think I know your concern here. You are asking for ideas on how to fix cable systems and electrical equipment to the internal walls/ceiling of the containers without comprimising the metal weather proof body am I right? The only thing I think of sticking or strapping (To strapping eyes within some containers) ply and fixing to this, although in my experience the inside of containers can introduce condensation (because of the temperature differentials) so defineatly use weatherproof light fittings and or outlets & switches avoid ceiling mounting anything as this is where most condensation tends to collect and if your ply comes away from its strapping and or adhesive best on the wall and not the ceiling! ouch

I used 25mm conduit drilled and tapped to the upper frame.

Sockets were bonded onto the skin with paxilin/wood spacers along with the lights.

The supply came in through the vent at the rear where the board is mounted.

1 year on it's all still stuck firmly in place.

I think I used CT1 instant grab, it's a rental container so no holes allowed.

It's my workshop back at HQ so I'll send you a few pics on Monday if you like.

Last edited:
I have used Unistrut in the past along the upper frame with lid on to carry the cable, then unistrut across the whole think widthways to mount the light.

Will last longer than the container, plus a free pull up bar!

The wiring will have to be in conduit,
Depending on what goes in it would dictate weather it is pvc or steel.
self drilling screws and saddles to secure conduit to steel container.
not easy but straight forward.

In the past I have had a 2 inch box section welded straight down the middle for the lighting, make sure whoever does the welding knows what he's doing and doesn't blow holes in the roof!

I've got a tickle of envy there Lee, very usable space and carries a huge deterrent, otherwise they wouldn't use them to cross the oceans of the world filled with plastic tat!

Yeah, nobody is getting in that bad boy quickly. It's more secure than the main workshop.

Downsides, 6kW of heating to keep it in single figures in the winter. 40degC in the summer.

Lucky for me it's just a store and somewhere to do home jobs.

Yeah, nobody is getting in that bad boy quickly. It's more secure than the main workshop.

Downsides, 6kW of heating to keep it in single figures in the winter. 40degC in the summer.

Lucky for me it's just a store and somewhere to do home jobs.

Whats the earthing supply to the container and is the container extraneous.?

Thanks for this @LeeH, worked like a charm and a lot simpler than the way I thought of doing it initially.

Cheers again matey.

In the past I have had a 2 inch box section welded straight down the middle for the lighting, make sure whoever does the welding knows what he's doing and doesn't blow holes in the roof!

I did something similar a while back, fitting lights in a old storage container. I was going to weld section the full length and install conduit on it. Trouble was the roof was up and down like a brides nightie. I had to cut the 2x1''section into 1m lengths before welding them in place. 3 core swa from adjacent building into the rear of the unit and through the section pieces to PI roses for fittings and pir on stop end box near entrance. Doesn't look brilliant....but it's a big, battered container and only for storage, a matter of adapting.
Container bonded from steelwork in adjacent unit.

Reply to Wiring a container in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net