Discuss wiring in stables (advise please) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leekemp85

I have been asked to wire some light fitting and a outdoor socket in a stable/shed . The current owner of the house dose not keep horses its just a large shed. But wants the job doing properly so if the house was sold it would be with stables. Is plastic conduit ok or would it have to be metal. What rcd would have to be used for areas with livestock.
The cable would be fused at 16amps but it is a 80m run, would 6mm 3core be ok there will only be one single socket (just for a radio) three 58w fittings and a security light (300/500w) but he would like it switched from the house so would 1.5 be ok over 80m at 500w max.

any other advise would be greatly received

many thanks

6mm swa to feed stable rcd garage cu will be fine id use metal conduit as plastic will be easier to damage as stable etc 1.5mm will be fine for switch from 500w security light this can be in plastic conduit but as with all cables pick a good route ! all info is found in OSG and BIG RED sec 705 max disscon on sockets not ex 32a is 30ma rcd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey.

If as you say this may be turned into a type of agricultural/equine stable block then it's worth installing a 300mA RCD to cover all other circuits aswell as the 30mA for socket outlets.

If you can keep all wiring out of reach of livestock then you probably wouldn't need to use galv conduit so pvc would be ok.

I would check out the cable calcs for the length of those runs just to make sure your disconnection times will be met.

Also check what your earthing system is, if TN-C-S then you will probably have to make the stables into a TT system depending if there are any extraeneous conductive parts in it.

Cheers.

I have been asked to wire some light fitting and a outdoor socket in a stable/shed . The current owner of the house dose not keep horses its just a large shed. But wants the job doing properly so if the house was sold it would be with stables. Is plastic conduit ok or would it have to be metal. What rcd would have to be used for areas with livestock.
The cable would be fused at 16amps but it is a 80m run, would 6mm 3core be ok there will only be one single socket (just for a radio) three 58w fittings and a security light (300/500w) but he would like it switched from the house so would 1.5 be ok over 80m at 500w max.

any other advise would be greatly received

many thanks
Hi,
not sure what you're on about here regarding 1.5 over 80m?Surely you have the same length of circuit to consider,so 6mm again?---I'm not sure if you just want to switch the floodlight or the other lights too?But if you just wanted to switch the floodlight alone to save having to do 2 runs of cable,could you use a 3core swa,and have a permenant live,aswitched live and a neutral,then in outhouse,fit a jb,switched live for light and unswitched going to cons unit splitter.(might be best to fit a local switch also for maintenance purpose)
Another point you might like to consider is that 300w/500w floods are no longer permitted.(150watt maximum now if you also have pir sensor)

The building is wooden (just like a modern summer house). My idea before checking out this site, was to go from a 16amp rcbo to a swa 6mm going up the garden to a outdoor socket take a mains to a spur unit for lighting from the switch to the three ip rated lights inside high level conduit, l/n/e to the security light and a two core 1.5 as an override back to the house switch. there would be no electrics under 3m in the shed/stable if i needed a 300ma rcd i would have to install an c/u up there. The guy says money is not a problem he just wants it doing right.
Thanks to the two guys that have already posted.

still sell them plus 150w you would have a job to see an elephant let alown an intruder

Last edited by a moderator:
The building is wooden (just like a modern summer house). My idea before checking out this site, was to go from a 16amp rcbo to a swa 6mm going up the garden to a outdoor socket take a mains to a spur unit for lighting from the switch to the three ip rated lights inside high level conduit, l/n/e to the security light and a two core 1.5 as an override back to the house switch. there would be no electrics under 3m in the shed/stable if i needed a 300ma rcd i would have to install an c/u up there. The guy says money is not a problem he just wants it doing right.
Thanks to the two guys that have already posted.

Sorry mate didn't realise you weren't installing a DB.

Since about 2years ago-----you can read about it in building control document L1A (ammended 6/4/06) paragraph 44
Same time as energy saving lights became a requirement for inside:)

Yes, but only if its not PIR controlled.

Having said that, i have just fitted a 500W non PIR halogen to the back of a refurb i have just done.:D

Yes, but only if its not PIR controlled.

Having said that, i have just fitted a 500W non PIR halogen to the back of a refurb i have just done.:D
no no,if it IS pir controlled.If you want something brighter you have to really go up to sodium.(lamps with greater efficacy than 40 lumens per circuit watt).This applies to new builds as well as refurbs.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you,but I don't make the rules up.I've got a feeling that you can get double ender cfls to fit a standard halogen fitting,but building control could say no as these can be replaced with halogen again.

no no,if it IS pir controlled.If you want something brighter you have to really go up to sodium.(lamps with greater efficacy than 40 lumens per circuit watt).This applies to new builds as well as refurbs.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you,but I don't make the rules up.I've got a feeling that you can get double ender cfls to fit a standard halogen fitting,but building control could say no as these can be replaced with halogen again.

Thanks for pointing this out mr loy i didnt know !
Regards
Tony.

Reply to wiring in stables (advise please) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock