Discuss wiring in stud walls...1st fix in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

YTSOxford

have just taken my 17th regs the other day and have passed. That along with the Part P makes me now a 'domestic installer'. Thing is, I'm lacking on the practical side of the trade.

Does anyone know where the cables in studwork should be according to the 17th. I seem to remember from the course that the recommended that the cable have one side touching the plasterboard, running vertical from outlets. Something to do with the insulation affecting the wire temp. SO if I was to do this how would you move between the studwork horizontally, to other sockets?? wouldn't be notches surely??

well the studwork is vertical, so if you want to go horizontal, you just drill the middle of any stud that you hit

I always run cables dowwn the centre of any noggins, why would you want it touching the plasterboard?

have you passed the assesment process through nic,napit or elecsa yet.

lol wtf, how old are you? your not anything like a 'domestic installer' & part p means **** all to a spark, its for kitchen & bathroom fitters. Its people like you who give time served sparks a bad name, you roll into a few weeks course and think ur a spark. makes me lol. hope ur being supervised too

lol, right i can see this is the type of forum I have to keep checking back as to nopt get slated by the likes of the last person. Lets get the imature comments with out the way. I'm 26, and have been in the construction trade since 18. I took Alevels and realised Uni was a pointless route and since I have wife and kid, had to start earning some decent cash. Since times are getting harder I decided to reskill and as much as I respect the peiople who have taken the college and apprentice route, but I can't take years out of work...did I mention wife and kid???

The company I work for just do extensions and that is all i need to kno how to wire. I KNOW i'm by no means competent yet, as I have the qualifications and not the experience. SO I 'm trying to obtain knowledge on forums such as this and applying to local contractors to be electricians mate.

Paul, I am planning to apply for the 'happy clubs' as soon as I feel confident, so far its the building control route.

And with REGARDS TO MY Q, the reg is 523.7 in the 17th ed, and the reference method that i was wondering whether i should and how to achieve is 102. iuts to do with cables having a derating factor when totaly surrounded by insulation, which they would if 50mm in. where should i run them? Or am I looking into this too far? help appreciated

Best Of Luck With Building Control,been There Got The T Shirt Not A Pleasant Though Expensive Experience, If I Where You I Would Join One Of The "happy Clubs" As You Put It Asap.

Right, YTSoxford, I can assure you that this is NOT like other forums. We have a laugh and a joke and may rib each other, but the forum will not allow direct insults to be thrown by members so on that you can rely.
People will always have a difference of opinion when it comes to 'qualifications' so just take it with a pinch of salt. We all work in the trade and most of us enjoy what we do. Nothing gives anyone the right to shout down an electrician who just decides to fit kitchens for example. Why does this make them 'lower' down in the pecking order? I know sparks earning a grand a week every week just doing kitchens. Bet there are a lot of sparks who have been in the industry 30 years who can't make that sort of money in their working week.

You will find most of us on this forum to be helpful YTSoxford so my advice - ask away as you have been mate;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we are not a bad bunch realy , but watch out for that Shakey guy !

what have i done!!!!!!!!!:mad::p

lol wtf, how old are you? your not anything like a 'domestic installer' & part p means **** all to a spark, its for kitchen & bathroom fitters. Its people like you who give time served sparks a bad name, you roll into a few weeks course and think ur a spark. makes me lol. hope ur being supervised too

could you be any more ignorant and ill informed?

1. yes he is a domestic installer

2. If part p means nothing to you mate you should not be in this trade. Even if you only work industrial, you would have to know the requirements of Part P to know that they dont apply to you. If you work commercial, and did shops, pubs, resteraunts or anything with a domestic dwelling attatched then you could well fall under the auspices of Part P

3. It is NOT just for kitchen and bathrrom fitters. i am in the middle of teaching the EAL course at the moment. Got a guy sitting in front of me thats got 6 or 7 years experience as a mate, learnt all his stuff off his dad, who has been a spark since the year dot. He has no quals, but fu*k me can that boy throw cables on the wall. Kitchen and bathroom fitter? I would watch bemused as he buried a hammer in your head.

4. The chap who started this post never said he was a spark! He said was a domestic installer. READ THE POST. And what do you think a 'spark' is then sunshine? 'cos i dont have ANY installation quals, and people have said i am not a 'spark'. Still got 25 years experience and teach EAL, C&G 2377, 2381, 2382, 2391 & 2392 though

fancy going toe to toe on any 'spark' issues big man:rolleyes:

bring it on

Last edited by a moderator:
Right think i've sorted this insulation problem, but on the current job that i'm doing have come across another headache. It was a bungalow that has been extended out the back and extended upwards with a new higher pitched roof, all in all making a large 7 bed house!! The prob i'm having is whne wiring the ring upstairs, there are 2 steel beam supporting the new roof, running parrellel in the floor space, so what would be the best way or wiring the ring on the other side of the room. I have started to clip and run the cable up and along the roof rafters but this is gobbling up loads of t&e!!! there is a gap behingd the steels but hovers a wall cavity, one of which an internal wall, Which used to be the old external. Can i use this??? Thanks, and cheers lads for your support./

where are the steels? Are they on the 1st or second floor? If there on the first then have you tried wiring upstairs ring main through the ground floor ceiling. if most sockets are low lowvel then it will be less cabling for you.

Other than that make use of your safe zones. 150mm down from the ceiling, 150mm out from a corner. You can't run in the cavity but if this old wall is now an internal wall then you can clip to it if you stay inside the prescribed zones. If the beams are steel or "rsj's" then they will be boxed in by the builder for fire proofing. This may create a joint for you to run in or over the steels.

Its a hard one without looking at it.

Hope this helps

Reply to wiring in stud walls...1st fix in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock