Discuss Wiring sky tv in domeatic property in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon

I was looking for some advice on wiring sky tv in a domestic rewire job.

Im inexperienced when it comes to aerial work as it was never covered in my apprenticeship but the client has specified tv points throughtout the home. Ive seen some wiring diagrams online but was hoping for some help by anyone on the forum who has knowledge on this.

Like i sat ive never had to deal with it before so any guidance would be much appreciated

The other thing I would add with Sky Q, is consideration of the Wi-Fi signal if its a property with thick walls etc. Sky have to install hard wired booster Wi-Fi boxes with cabling, in such instances.

What kind of Sky system is being installed?

Normally I take twin coax from each point to an agreed location for the dish installer to deal with.
Removes any future call outs for bad signal from the equation.
Thanks for the response. I was looking at some drawings that said tou
Sky q is just twin sat from dish to main box/tv point. Additional boxes are wireless.
That sounds easy enough. Thas for the response
[automerge]1578332453[/automerge]
The other thing I would add with Sky Q, is consideration of the Wi-Fi signal if its a property with thick walls etc. Sky have to install hard wired booster Wi-Fi boxes with cabling, in such instances.
So just run a cat 5 from each tv position to the router aswell as the sat cable?
[automerge]1578332636[/automerge]

What kind of Sky system is being installed?

Im not 100 percent sure what kind of system is being used i just know the main contractor wants it future proofed. If it wasnt sky q being used would i need to run coax from an amplifier in the loft space?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I was looking at some drawings that said tou

That sounds easy enough. Thas for the response
[automerge]1578332453[/automerge]

So just run a cat 5 from each tv position to the router aswell as the sat cable?
[automerge]1578332636[/automerge]

Im not 100 percent sure what kind of system is being used i just know the main contractor wants it future proofed. If it wasnt sky q being used would i need to run coax from an amplifier in the loft space?

I think you need to ask what spec they require. As already mentioned Sky Q is different to Sky. CAT 5 or whatever the latest spec is, to each tv point. What about AT cable for internet connection. The list can be endless, and you can't really future proof, 'cos things change quickly. Ask them to specify, then you can't be blamed if something is missing when the property is handed over.

What I would do is run 2xtwin coaxes and 1xsingle coax to main tv position from a central position/loft, run a twin coax and single coax to each additional tv point. Also run a cat 5 or a couple to each tv point from hub/router position This would make It adaptable for traditional TV, sky, sky q, smart capabilities etc. If there is virgin in the area then it might be worth running a twin sat from central position to outside at low level as well. Use good quality cable.

What I would do is run 2xtwin coaxes and 1xsingle coax to main tv position from a central position/loft, run a twin coax and single coax to each additional tv point. Also run a cat 5 or a couple to each tv point from hub/router position This would make It adaptable for traditional TV, sky, sky q, smart capabilities etc. If there is virgin in the area then it might be worth running a twin sat from central position to outside at low level as well. Use good quality cable.
Thank lee

And would all the cables your run back to an amplifier /booster in the loft space? I was going to use wf100 coaxial cable as ive heard its good.

Once the hard drive was added to Sky boxes each non Sky Q box needs two coax (shoot gun) from LNB to where the box is.

Freesat and Free to Air normally a single coax LNB to set bottom box.

You can't daisy chain satellite boxes, each one needs it's own cable, there was a system using digi eyes so a single Sky box could be controlled from many rooms, however it used analogue signal which was OK with 14" TV but useless with 32" or larger, the same applies to SCART leads, they are not good enough for modern large TV's.

In the main you will have a quad or hybrid LNB, you can get 8 output but need a larger dish, so in this house shoot gun coax to main room for Sky Q and 4 single cables to other rooms to use standard satellite boxes, however the latter are hardly used because Sky Q is wireless to satellite boxes, only the main one has coax.

As to future proof, pointless, my old house is full of redundant cables, telephone points were fitted all around the house in the days when my time sheets were faxed in, but not used a fax machine for years.

Today all wireless phones.

My son put LAN cables to each TRV head, but by time he came to fit them, all wireless.

Put conduit or trunking yes, but cables pointless.

Reply to Wiring sky tv in domeatic property in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock