Discuss wiring theory in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

philsheriton

Wiring theory ???

just started on a job partialy completed (plastered) in a single switch by the back door found two lives one red one yellow a neutral blue and an earth (looks like a midway switch). Q ? can this be converted into two sep, switches (feeds) ie red blue earth then yellow loop the blue Neutral and earth theory should work but would like a second oppinion

Phil Sheriton

Wiring theory ???

just started on a job partialy completed (plastered) in a single switch by the back door found two lives one red one yellow a neutral blue and an earth (looks like a midway switch). Q ? can this be converted into two sep, switches (feeds) ie red blue earth then yellow loop the blue Neutral and earth theory should work but would like a second oppinion

Phil Sheriton

Sounds like two way switching. is the another switch in the room ?

ian thanks for the reply no there is no other switch in the room at first i thought it was in place for the garage but that is wired sep, ?

when you say "two lives", do you mean you have tested them both for mains voltage or are you going by the colour of the cables? why would you want two feeds at one switch? sounds more like a 3 core (+earth) has been taken from the light fitting in that room (which will be 3 plated).
the red should be the feed, the yellow should be your switch wire.
If the switch is on an exterior wall the neutral was probably taken down to the switch to facilitate a neutral for an outside light off the same switch?
Just a thought?

Reply to wiring theory in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net