Discuss Workshop led lighting help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all , hopefully somebody on here can help me out, I recently went to change a led unit in a workshop , cut power ,changed led unit , then when I switch power back on it didn't work and also took the bank of 5 lights down with it , disconnected it and the bank still doesn't work, checked fuse , all ok , checked switch ,(retractable switch) power is their . Still No power at all 5 lights , at some point they have been on sensors as they is 1 highbay sensor on each bank (6 banks)
Any thoughts and help would be greatfully appreciated
Thx Shane

Hi all , hopefully somebody on here can help me out, I recently went to change a led unit in a workshop , cut power ,changed led unit , then when I switch power back on it didn't work and also took the bank of 5 lights down with it , disconnected it and the bank still doesn't work, checked fuse , all ok , checked switch ,(retractable switch) power is their . Still No power at all 5 lights , at some point they have been on sensors as they is 1 highbay sensor on each bank (6 banks)
Any thoughts and help would be greatfully appreciated
Thx Shane
Unsure if I've posted this in the right question

What do the sensors do turn them off when there is sufficient light or are they motion sensors.

Unsure if I've posted this in the right question
Are these plug in units or are they direct wired.

In either case this would appear to be the first on this "bank"

If direct wired I'd check your wiring, post pictures if possible.

If plug in, then it's not beyond reason to think a wire has come loose in the junction box behind the plug.

If these are LED lights then there may be a faint glow, if so you've a loose or missing neutral.

However the fact that changing this light has taken the others out would lead me to think this lamp has the loop in/out and switch drop wiring associated to it.

They are motion sensors so I assume with the retractable switch they are controlled through a contactor. You need to do some testing to rule things out.

Are these plug in units or are they direct wired.

In either case this would appear to be the first on this "bank"

If direct wired I'd check your wiring, post pictures if possible.

If plug in, then it's not beyond reason to think a wire has come loose in the junction box behind the plug.

If these are LED lights then there may be a faint glow, if so you've a loose or missing neutral.

However the fact that changing this light has taken the others out would lead me to think this lamp has the loop in/out and switch drop wiring associated to it.
I just disconnected one led , live/neutral/earth, at the light base and replaced it for a another led light , this was the last light on the bank ,

They are motion sensors so I assume with the retractable switch they are controlled through a contactor. You need to do some testing to rule things out.
Its a really high roof . The motion sensors have them quite big joint boxes at the top for wire splitting , and so does each light . Could you hide a contactor in them?

Do you know the make / model of the motion sensors they may contain a built relay & timer that can be operated by the retractive switch or there may be a small control panel containing the control equipment for each bank of lights located close to the wiring feeding the lights or with the distribution boards

Probably motion sensor as previously said but could be light sensor, do they (or did they) dim as ambient light level increased? which would imply separate dimmable driver/unit somewhere [remote].
Either way as also suggested probably lighting contactor controlled which needs to be located.

Do you know the make / model of the motion sensors they may contain a built relay & timer that can be operated by the retractive switch or there may be a small control panel containing the control equipment for each bank of lights located close to the wiring feeding the lights or with the distribution boards

So you have an incomplete job and you now have no access equipment
Yea pal , it's doing my head in , just glad it's only took the one bank out . It's a car workshop with 23 ramps and luckily it's the last bank of lights so I can get away with it until I can sort it ,

Its my place of work , yes I am a trainee,
Also would a contactor be on every bank , ones I've seen don't have reset switches on , I've tried listening for a click when I press switch but don't hear owt, wires come out of the 6 bank retractable switch straight up to each each bank of lights with them sensors . I just don't understand how replacing 1 light on the last run would cause this , unless is has a controller hid somewhere, but then the bank should ov gone off when the light I replaced failed

Reply to Workshop led lighting help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net