Discuss Worlds oldest working electrician ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barry White

I had a caravan on the Beachcomber site at Cleethorpes for 20 years. The local contract electrician was called Rowley.
He was a quiet old man who Just got on with the job and did it. I often wondered if he had a bad back as he always came out of a caravan backwards, if the steps were at the door. Then you would see him crawling under vans working!
I recently came across this

He was featured by Yorkshire Television as the oldest qualified electrician still working in England, prompting an inspection from regulators who couldn't believe that he could still be competent.

Daughter Nadine Waldron told the 130-strong congregation at his funeral at Grimsby Crematorium: "Rowley sent the first inspector away with a flea in his ear for being condescending.

"He offered to have another inspection, which, of course, he duly passed."

Read more at Tributes paid to electrician Rowley Walker who was still working aged 91 - http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/tributes-paid-electrician-rowley-walker-working/story-20171568-detail/story.html#6hmPEKewTdMGPbX2.99

I left in 2002 and he was working then!

Like reading about these old people, who were actually young once it appears!

Seems we in this country have lost respect for our elders. I lost the chance when younger, to ask my elders about their lives. I think as you get older you realise how life is so precious. Good on Rowley, seemed he had a good & fruitful life.

I remember seeing these few photos (can only find it on you tube now). The guy was so proud of his garden, took photos every season. Last one rather sad.

I worked with a plasterer who is in his late eighties. He can still plaster a large room out in a day, including the ceiling and mixing his own plaster. He is a real character, smoking his pipe while happily plastering all day long.
"Hey, they think it's easy, they ought to come av a go!" Is his favourite line. :)

Reply to Worlds oldest working electrician ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net