Discuss WWYDITS..... What Would You Do In This Situation in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
To cut a long story short... Would you warn a customer that someone they were about to get to do some work was a little bit "dodgy"?

To cut a short story very long...
Over 2 years ago I did a little job for a couple, lets call them Mr Crook and Miss Demeanor, in their house that they were building and needed a sparky, fast.
I obliged, him being a small business owner and she a receptionist at the local doctors surgery. Invoiced the job a little over £300.
Time goes by, and no payment.... but plenty of promises. Eventually, I got a solicitor involved, won the court case and her being employed, the court have arrested her wages. Now much more than the £300 with added fees.
Mr Crook's Ltd company was liquidated last year, but as I was working for them as individuals, and not his company, my case was more likely to have a positive outcome.
I would also like to add that Miss Demeanors wages have already got 2 arrestments against it. A sign that there is more than me that is owed money.

Fast forward to this week. I'm busy working on a horse stable job.... the biggest thing I've had since starting on my own. The customer mentions the name of the builder coming to do some work on the roof.
OMG, its Mr Crook!
Apparently the only builder to come back for another look before giving a quote, and quite keen to get started.

My first thought is to just avoid being there on the same days as the builder... or should I say something to the customer?

But as I think about it... the roof he is to fix is asbestos sheets, and the customers are getting insurance money to have the asbestos removed. Am I just being overly suspicious in thinking he will remove the asbestos, but not dispose of properly, thus pocketing the money? He maybe got the job because he's undercut everyone else that's disposing properly?

Does he have to be licenced to remove asbestos sheets, and if so, is there an online register that can be checked?

Can he still be trading in the same line of work if his company has been liquidated? (by painting over the "LTD" on his van, for example?)

Scottish laws and rules will apply here.

I think you need to have a quiet word and share your history, even if just to let the client know to avoid any mixed communication on site. I am sure he would need to be licensed to remove or dispose of asbestos so i would get the client to ask for his details and verify them.
If he is not legit then he is putting you and others at risk messing with asbestos. feel something needs to be said

The removal of asbestos cement materials (providing they aren't shedding fibres) is a non-licensed activity that you can do providing you have the appropriate training (i.e. you have received non-licensed works training from an approved provider and can prove it). You don't need to involve the HSE or council in anyway, you just need to have the materials disposed of by a licensed company.

So given his history I would at least advise the client that they should ask for proof he is authorised (i.e. has received training - the certificates are only valid for a period of 12 months I believe - I have my non-licensed works refresher booked for next week) and to keep an eye on them whilst the work is being undertaken.

Any sign they are not following the HSE guidelines (available from the HSE Asbestos Essentials website), give them a call and they'll shut them down.

Thanks for the replies.
I don't want to come across to the customer as being a troublemaker because me and the builder have history.
He's probably forgotten who I am if they've had a habit of not paying anyone.

Hopefully I can get my bits done before he starts, then return later after the roof is repaired to do the rest.
Its awkward enough having to use the doctors and seeing his partner behind the desk.

I'd want to make sure the environment I'd working is safe, and 'we' are all responsible for that. So I would want assurances that the asbestos is being safely removed.

The rest of it, would have nothing to do with me (you).

Last edited:
Anyone doing that type of work must 100% have a risk assessment and method statement for the removal of the asbestos (that doesn’t change if it’s low grade or high risk asbestos).
Tell your client you have concerns about the asbestos removal and would like to see the companies risk assessment and method statement. This should detail all works and precautions being taken, if you still not happy you can inform HSE if you think the work is dangerous.

I haven’t been back on site yet. The customer is waiting to get a trench dug for a cable before I do the next part.
I haven’t mentioned their roofers past yet. But in chats on the phone between me and the customer, he says council are involved with the roof work, so I think their H&S guys will be all over the competency of the roofers methods.

@Dan , stop reading these old threads and get on with sorting the forum.:D
I believe you’ve got a plumbing forum to upgrade next!

I haven’t been back on site yet. The customer is waiting to get a trench dug for a cable before I do the next part.
I haven’t mentioned their roofers past yet. But in chats on the phone between me and the customer, he says council are involved with the roof work, so I think their H&S guys will be all over the competency of the roofers methods.

@Dan , stop reading these old threads and get on with sorting the forum.:D
I believe you’ve got a plumbing forum to upgrade next!

Mate, after what he did to you, I would have no hesitation in doing everything in my arsenal to ensure that he did not get the job, no hesitation whatsoever and I would want him to know it was me too. But I'm like that lol

Reply to WWYDITS..... What Would You Do In This Situation in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock