Discuss Wylex skeleton unit, help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timo1

-
Reaction score
I'm looking to change a CU in an ex local authority flat and there is simply no space in the cupboard! I read on here about skeleton units which seem to be the best option. I am looking to get one like this 10 Way Split Load Skeleton Consumer Unit - 100 Amp Switch + RCD but it seems a bit bigger than the existing.

The current box is 310 width and 200 height. The one above is 355 width and 234 height. looking at the photo is there another style anyone would be good enough to recommend. I have thought about just extending and keeping the unit as a joint box but the cupboard is so tight there is not an ideal location for a standard board.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Many thanks. Tim.Wylex skeleton unit, help please Skeleton unit.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The photo looks like the existing CU is a standard Wylex 3036 metal-clad unit. Skeleton units are made specifically for direct replacement of integrated Wylex CU interiors commonly used in the older metal Mantel electrical cupboards that are found in most of the old council houses and flats built in and around the 50's and 60's.

Not sure how your going to get around fitting a modern CU in that cabinet you have, most will be too fat to close the door of the cabinet, and that's apart from the length of a 10 way CU with twin RCD'S and an isolator. You may find you need to fit the CU above this cabinet.

Let's see what others here have to say....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Eng I thought this was a mantel unit as the building is 1970's construction. I thought that I could just replace the insides and the cover would fit flush.

Topquark thanks for the suggestion it may well come to that as there is no way I can remove and replace, the existing connections will have to stay as they are. Really not looking forward to this one, Im not the smallest of chaps and the cupboard was built around the services and there is hardly and room to move. I can re-position a new CU but it wont look as tidy as I would like it.

Have added the website address. Looks like there is plenty of space to the above left of the existing CU to route the cables. Depends where you have room to fit a new CU. You'll get away with the smaller of the two din rail adaptable boxes they do by the looks of it.

NB If the existing RFC cables are stranded, not solid, then you may need to go the next size up from the 2.5mm ones to 4.00mm ones. You'll also need one blanking plate for each size of topjob you need to use (they are open on one side only).

Looking at the number of cables, there looks to be a few sharing breakers at the mo, so you will prob need a larger enclosure, the larger enclosure they do is (300x220x120).

Reply to Wylex skeleton unit, help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock