Discuss Yet another bonding question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jibjob

-
Arms
Reaction score
Have been asked to quote for a re-wire of a 3 bed property, fairly standard stuff really except that the ground floor is a solid concrete floor with copper pipework to 4 radiators, a gas hob & a further 2 gas pipes up throught the kitchen. I've IR tested pipework from the MET & it comes up 0.00 Mohms, continuity gives a reading of approx 14 ohms. Thus, all pipework is extraneous & requires main bonding as far as regs are concerned.
Bonding pipework to the hob is not a problem although it'll need to be made accessible for inspection somehow. However, I'm not really sure how I'm going to loop a 10mm cable between 4 radiators in 4 different rooms while keeping it aesthetically pleasing to the eye bearing in mind that all bonding connections need to be made accessible for inspection. The supply is currently TT but Western Power have had a look & confirmed PME is present (earth terminal present on side of service head but earthing currently provided by rod sunk into the ground within what is currently the garage but is being converted into a downstairs bedroom).
I mention this because I could keep it TT & use a smaller sized MBC which might make life a bit easier. Originally I was going to use the available PME. I've never had to deal with this issue before so it's a new one on me. Any thoughts?:)

bond the water and gas mains, then you will find taht most if not all copper is bonded anyway through the pipework itself.

You would need to bond the gas and water anyway, regardless of any tests you've done. I suggest ensuring that main bonding is in place first, then conduct any testing you feel is necessary on the pipework. Why are you considering bonding radiators together?

farmers arms, or the foresters arms? both good pubs a few miles from me.

You would need to bond the gas and water anyway, regardless of any tests you've done. I suggest ensuring that main bonding is in place first, then conduct any testing you feel is necessary on the pipework. Why are you considering bonding radiators together?

I would only (main) bond them if they were found to be extraneous. I guess I'll need to test again when main bonding to water & gas is in place. Hopefully all re-emerging pipework will be under 0.05 ohms.

Wait a minute there chief.....is there main bonding present in this property or not? You absolutely must have main bonding in place if the incomers are metal, it's not optional! It is one of the most important parts of the electrical safety provisions in the property. You don't 'main' bond other pipework in the house.....that is supplementary equipotential bonding, and it is this that can be omitted these days providing certain criteria are met.

Once main bonding is in place, you usually find that supplementary bonding in special locations isn't needed, as the pipework is continuous.

I've IR tested pipework from the MET & it comes up 0.00 Mohms, continuity gives a reading of approx 14 ohms.
Thus, all pipework is extraneous & requires main bonding as far as regs are concerned.

Nahh..............main bond the incoming gas/water etc and that covers all your 'pipework' in the 'zone' mate:)

Wait a minute there chief.....is there main bonding present in this property or not? You absolutely must have main bonding in place if the incomers are metal, it's not optional! It is one of the most important parts of the electrical safety provisions in the property. You don't 'main' bond other pipework in the house.....that is supplementary equipotential bonding, and it is this that can be omitted these days providing certain criteria are met.

Once main bonding is in place, you usually find that supplementary bonding in special locations isn't needed, as the pipework is continuous.

Not at present but there will be when I'm finished, property is currently empty.

Jesus wept, just get the Gas and Water services main bonded as per the regulations, ....then come back if you're still encountering any problems!!

Why would you even be considering leaving this installation as a TT system when a PME Earth is currently available from the DNO??

I vaguely remember someone raising this issue the other week, where pipework was bonded, buried and then re-emerging at various locations. Can`t remember who it was but i think that his assessor had suggested additional bonding where it re-emerged.

I vaguely remember someone raising this issue the other week, where pipework was bonded, buried and then re-emerging at various locations. Can`t remember who it was but i think that his assessor had suggested additional bonding where it re-emerged.

If the pipework is buried in concrete within the building it is unlikely to 're-gain' an earth potential IMO as it will be above the DPM.If you assume the pipework is becoming extraneous through being in dry concrete then the entire floor will be 'earthy' and there would be no point in bonding anything at all. The OP's test readings are almost certainly the result of parallel paths.I would main bond services at the point of entry as normal.

If the pipework is buried in concrete within the building it is unlikely to 're-gain' an earth potential IMO as it will be above the DPM.If you assume the pipework is becoming extraneous through being in dry concrete then the entire floor will be 'earthy' and there would be no point in bonding anything at all. The OP's test readings are almost certainly the result of parallel paths.I would main bond services at the point of entry as normal.

That would depend very much on how old the property/building is. Older buildings won't have a DPM course. Either way, the pipework will be undoubtedly be ''earthy'' and as you say won't normally require any additional bonding other than the main bonding at point of entry...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Yet another bonding question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock