Discuss Your Thoughts on FuseBox in 1960s council semi in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

A house buyer here (FTB) doing the usual googling on old fuseboxes / wiring. House is a 1960s ex council house semi and hasn't been rewired. Not seen any obviously dated looking wall plugs or fixtures but would love any thoughts on the state of the fusebox. Its v.dated and I will no doubt want to replace it with a modern consumer unit. The electricity as been switched back on and I'm going back next week to do some basic checks of lights, wall plugs but are there any immediate red flags that you can see?

Thanks all , Luke

Attachments

• electrics.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 123
  • electrics2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 112
  • electrics3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 114
  • electrics4.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 120
It looks rough, not properly seated on the (wooden!) back box, and missing the cover to stop children or fools pulling fuses without some additional effort. It appears to have an earth connection from the cut-out (thing below the meter, owned by the supply company) which is good/essential to have, but wire is thin by modern standards.

Getting a competent electrician in to check thing and quote for a new consumer unit (CU = fuse box) is your best option.

If you have to check anything yourself, then the better socket testers offer some idea if it is OK, but obviously far less than a sparky can check. For example:

The "loop impedance" aspect helps verify a usable earth, whereas the cheap socket testers will pass damp string as OK. But don't try the RCD test, it won't work as you don't have RCD and keeping it pressed for a long time might damage the socket tester as a result!

To add to the above, the fuse box is fairly easily changed, I'd be more concerned about the wiring. If 1960s then there is a fair chance the lighting wiring does not have an earth (or sometimes it has partial earths). If so, then really it ought to be rewired, factor that into the renovation costs.

Best case scenaRio allow ÂŁ1000 for a new consumer unit (fuse board) and possibly new water & gas bonding.

worst case you could need a full rewire costing ÂŁ5000 ball park.

plan for worst case scenario and if you Get away with just a new consumer unit then happy days

Just to add, there is a chance the fuse wire is not the right size for the circuit. If you have some fuse wire on a card to hand then you can turn the power off and pull each fuse in turn and check it looks the size for the 5/15/30A circuits, and re-insert it.

Really, don't ever insert or remove fuses with the power on, it can end quite badly with burns, brown trousers or worse.

EDIT: Looks like you have only 5A (white spot) and 30A (red spot) fuses.

The left side cover screw is almost certainly missing hence the skewed cover and I wouldn't be surprised if the right is missing.

I spotted it, but had no idea what it was. ?

That one is the same as the others to the left, however I think you may be talking about the close protection fuse on the far right, not the upside down one next to it (the subject of Buzz's comment).

all the coloured spot ones are rewirable fuses - remove the holder and bare fuse wire can be refitted to restore supply, the one on the far right is not rewirable - it's a cartridge fuse used for close protection.

Hey, thanks for all the replys!

pc1966 thanks for the tips on the socket testers.

sjd paignton pete dusty dazzler

I think I will probably be realistic and plan for a total rewire. There are only single double sockets in the 3 bedrooms, a double and a single in the lounge. In the dining/kitchen area the dining room has a single the kitchen seems ok as there are 3 doubles. Better to get that all done before moving in

sjd
"I'd be more concerned about the wiring. If 1960s then there is a fair chance the lighting wiring does not have an earth (or sometimes it has partial earths). If so, then really it ought to be rewired,"
--- thanks for that tip. I assume that will come out in the EICR

I'm in the North West so hopefully it will be closer to 4k than 5k .

The vendors previously rented out the property and they have so obviously bailed out before the new regs for EICRS come into force.? ? Getting an EICR and quote and see if a deal can be made with vendors for works I guess is the next thing. its just a case of sucking up the couple of hundred on the testing for the quote. Annoying but then a quote for works will need that I suppose. Hopefully the wiring isnt so knackered that a new consumer unit will suffice. Another thing is the property is a solid floor construction, which I've read can be a right nightmare / more expensive? for rewiring.

If the scenario is that the wiring isnt a right off - is there a sliding scale of knackered, life expectancy - is there a 'pass level' in these EICRs that could I add some more power points, recessed lighting in the kitchen for instance without going down the route of a full rewire.

Out of curiosity what is the thing in the third picture?

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for all the replys!

pc1966 thanks for the tips on the socket testers.

sjd paignton pete dusty dazzler

I think I will probably be realistic and plan for a total rewire. There are only single double sockets in the 3 bedrooms, a double and a single in the lounge. In the dining/kitchen area the dining room has a single the kitchen seems ok as there are 3 doubles. Better to get that all done before moving in

sjd
"I'd be more concerned about the wiring. If 1960s then there is a fair chance the lighting wiring does not have an earth (or sometimes it has partial earths). If so, then really it ought to be rewired,"
--- thanks for that tip. I assume that will come out in the EICR

I'm in the North West so hopefully it will be closer to 4k than 5k .

The vendors previously rented out the property and they have so obviously bailed out before the new regs for EICRS come into force.? ? Getting an EICR and quote and see if a deal can be made with vendors for works I guess is the next thing. its just a case of sucking up the couple of hundred on the testing for the quote. Annoying but then a quote for works will need that I suppose. Hopefully the wiring isnt so knackered that a new consumer unit will suffice. Another thing is the property is a solid floor construction, which I've read can be a right nightmare / more expensive? for rewiring.

If the scenario is that the wiring isnt a right off - is there a sliding scale of knackered, life expectancy - is there a 'pass level' in these EICRs that could I add some more power points, recessed lighting in the kitchen for instance without going down the route of a full rewire.

Cheers all.

Yes there is technically a "sliding scale" if it's all PVC cable in good condition it could be the case that some of it could be re-used, however in practical terms, you would most likely need so many more socket outlets, more modern lighting, perhaps a shower, upgraded kitchen etc that the extent of the saving is minimal.

Get someone in to look and discuss options.

Everything hangs on the results of the EICR.

If you first floor is solid construction you can't put in recessed lighting without a drop ceiling.

The thing in the third picture is the service head from your supplier, don't touch.

That is the "cut out" where the main incoming power cable terminates, and where there is the main fuse (typically 60-100A) for the property. It is called that is it is the ultimate means of disconnecting power for changing a meter or CU.

It should not be touched! Firstly it owned by the power supply company (DNO, such as SSE, etc, not the company who bills you, they own the meter), and secondly if it goes wrong it can go horribly wrong in terms of fault energy.

Yes there is technically a "sliding scale" if it's all PVC cable in good condition it could be the case that some of it could be re-used, however in practical terms, you would most likely need so many more socket outlets, more modern lighting, perhaps a shower, upgraded kitchen etc that the extent of the saving is minimal.

Get someone in to look and discuss options.
Thanks for the heads up Julie

That is the "cut out" where the main incoming power cable terminates, and where there is the main fuse (typically 60-100A) for the property. It is called that is it is the ultimate means of disconnecting power for changing a meter or CU.

It should not be touched! Firstly it owned by the power supply company (DNO, such as SSE, etc, not the company who bills you, they own the meter), and secondly if it goes wrong it can go horribly wrong in terms of fault energy.

Thanks for the info!

only a site visit can determine the extent of works required. as said previously, a total rewire maynot be bneeded, hope for the best. plan for the worst.

which floors are you meaning with solid? ground floor concrete is no problem. it's if the upstairs floor is conctrete, that you have problems.

Reply to Your Thoughts on FuseBox in 1960s council semi in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net