Discuss Your Thoughts on FuseBox in 1960s council semi in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok good to know about the drop ceiling requirements. Something else to add to the list for researching! Cheers
A drop ceiling can work to your advantage, all the required cabling for the first floor can be run in the void from a service riser at your new CU (consumer unit or call it a fuse-board if you must) as said earlier it all hangs on the EICR and obviously your existing ceiling height. PM Telectrix if he is local.

and my patch covers the south and west side of M'cr. happy to advise and quote you
"which floors are you meaning with solid? ground floor concrete is no problem. it's if the upstairs floor is conctrete, that you have problems."
Good question, honestly I will need to double check if both the ground floor and first floor are solid (concrete). I've just been reading around that most of the council houses from the 60s used solid floors.

I just realised that I read "If you first floor is solid construction you can't put in recessed lighting without a drop ceiling." as ground floor - so I'll need to double check up on the first floor

The property is out in Haydock ( a couple miles north of NewtonLeWillows) , is that out of your patch?

I'd say it'll be very unlikely that the upstairs floor will be concrete, most likely timber joists and floorboards in a house from the '60s , and for wiring purposes that would be a lot better than the horrible chipboard flooring sheets of today.

1960’s
Suggest you look for asbestos. Possibly in cupboards where there may have been a blown air heating system, or flue up in the attic.

you will find there isn’t enough socket points, so a rewire would be a good idea before decorating.
See if you can get it cheaper if you do the floor lifting/ chasing/ making good

"which floors are you meaning with solid? ground floor concrete is no problem. it's if the upstairs floor is conctrete, that you have problems."
Good question, honestly I will need to double check if both the ground floor and first floor are solid (concrete). I've just been reading around that most of the council houses from the 60s used solid floors.

I just realised that I read "If you first floor is solid construction you can't put in recessed lighting without a drop ceiling." as ground floor - so I'll need to double check up on the first floor

The property is out in Haydock ( a couple miles north of NewtonLeWillows) , is that out of your patch?
If you want some advice I'm in Garswood so not to far from Haydock so could easily call in

it was mainly council flats that had concrete on the 1st (upstairs) floor. most houses were joists and floorboards. easy to see if the upstairs are boards. just lift a bit of carpet.

It was the OP that said they had solid floors (plural) made the mistake of thinking they where posting from experience and not going on information read on the internet.

It would be unusual to have a concrete first floor in a house constructed in the 1960's, but not impossible, the likelihood of asbestos is real, but not to be confused with the multi/conti board used extensively during the banning of the substance, had a trade name that I can't recall at the moment.

Out of curiosity what is the thing in the third picture?
That cut out can be made dangerous when a smart meter has been installed not uncommon for the meter fitter to break the piece under the fuse holder called the DNO out on a few jobs where the fuse was exposed underneath the fuseholder. DNO said it is caused when the meter fitter pulls the fuse down when extracting it

That cut out can be made dangerous when a smart meter has been installed not uncommon for the meter fitter to break the piece under the fuse holder called the DNO out on a few jobs where the fuse was exposed underneath the fuseholder. DNO said it is caused when the meter fitter pulls the fuse down when extracting it
To be honest, the meter has been fitted with the care and finness of an angry gorilla.

Personally I'd call them anyway. Cutout is life expired, phenolic materials possibly, these are on lists for replacement anyway but I little nudge can't hurt them. Wouldn't be surprised if the head and/or fuseboard had traces of amosite (brown asbestos), which is normally fine unless disturbed, you may want an abestos survey (think they're not too expensive (ÂŁ20~ for sample testing I'm lead to believe), or just send in @telectrix , he smokes the stuff and like a loveable cuddly cockroach, seems indestructible.

To be honest, the meter has been fitted with the care and finness of an angry gorilla.
Which one? Westy?, SC?, Marvo?

or just send in @telectrix , he smokes the stuff like a loveable cuddly cockroach,
How would you know what sort of cockroach Tel is like?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be unusual to have a concrete first floor in a house constructed in the 1960's, but not impossible, the likelihood of asbestos is real, but not to be confused with the multi/conti board used extensively during the banning of the substance, had a trade name that I can't recall at the moment.

Asbestolux was a name quite common in the 80's, don't know if that's the one you were thinking of?

Personally I'd call them anyway. Cutout is life expired, phenolic materials possibly, these are on lists for replacement anyway but I little nudge can't hurt them. Wouldn't be surprised if the head and/or fuseboard had traces of amosite (brown asbestos), which is normally fine unless disturbed, you may want an abestos survey (think they're not too expensive (ÂŁ20~ for sample testing I'm lead to believe), or just send in @telectrix , he smokes the stuff and like a loveable cuddly cockroach, seems indestructible.
I would be more worried if there was artex or old storage heaters in the property

Biggest issue that cut out has is the earth terminal is unused although it looks like the earth might connect directly to the PILC sheath

"Wouldn't be surprised if the head and/or fuseboard had traces of amosite....."
Good to be aware, thanks

I would be more worried if there was artex or old storage heaters in the property

Biggest issue that cut out has is the earth terminal is unused although it looks like the earth might connect directly to the PILC sheath
Fortunatly no storage heaters there, There is some artex in the lounge ceiling, Its quite subtle looking like someones had a go at scraping it down.

just look upstairs under any carpet. see if there are floorboards. ( for anyone who doesn't know, these are parallell strips of wood, about 6" wide, usually keyed together with tongues and grooves. as long as a wet-pants hasn't been at them, you should not ne able to see through to the ceiling below and they shouldnot bounce up and down when you walk on them..).

Reply to Your Thoughts on FuseBox in 1960s council semi in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net