Ze

Discuss Ze in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not 100% sure on this. Using 1667 as your max Zs (per table 41.5) will give you a touch voltage of 50 or 50v divide by 1667 = 30mA.
Note 2 states exceeding 200 ohms may not be stable so will make your fault current way above the 30mA required to trip the RCD.

As far as a table to show reg# 411.3.2.4 then I don't think there is one? In theory, provided your Zs is below 1667 ohms you should always have your disconnect time?

Perhaps this allows for a time delay RCD up to 1 sec for sub-main distribution? Not a great reg for plumbing in a 10Kw shower though.

Hopefully someone here could point us in the right direction :confused:

I have to answer this question with reference to 7671 and, well, can't find it.

Just to answer the above the reason you cant find it is because its not specifically mentioned apart from the symbols on page 36, and referred to as earth fault loop impedance in Note 3 under 132.2 on page 16, as this is under the supply characteristics it is in fact Ze

As far as BS7671 is concerned Zs is the is the top dog and Ze is automatically included in this as you know Ze + R1+R2 = Zs

Ze is covered by the ESQCR as it is DNO`s responsibility

The 21 ohms is the DNO earth at their supply transformer. No matter what system of earthing you have in your house the supply transformer will have an earth electrode and that is the DNO responsibilty

If you have TNS or a TNC_S then the DNO have the responsibility to maintain that earth.

If you have a TT then it's the consumers responsibilty to maintain that not the DNO so they don't have the responsibilty of your Ze at a TT. All they have to ensure is that the Electrode at the transformer is there at that 21 ohms. and it is your responsibilty to get the earth path back to it.

The 21 ohms is the DNO earth at their supply transformer. No matter what system of earthing you have in your house the supply transformer will have an earth electrode and that is the DNO responsibilty

If you have TNS or a TNC_S then the DNO have the responsibility to maintain that earth.

If you have a TT then it's the consumers responsibilty to maintain that not the DNO so they don't have the responsibilty of your Ze at a TT. All they have to ensure is that the Electrode at the transformer is there at that 21 ohms. and it is your responsibilty to get the earth path back to it.

I would agree that it is the consumers responsibility to maintain a low resistance electrode 200ohms or less at the installation, however if the DNO did not maintain a source electrode of 20 or 21 ohms max then the earth fault path would be incomplete for TT, I know that in addition the source electrode is there for referencing the neutral of the transformer for the TN systems and voltage purposes, but this does not preclude it from a TT system, by enquiry to the DNO their standard quote for TT will be that the source electrode is 20 or 21 ohms which is an external impedance ie Ze which in turn is a requirement of the ESQCR

The Ze in a TT changes with the weather and is unreliable so we don't really know it; isn't that why its RCD'd

To overcome this we should install and earth electrode 2.4m deep opposing a 1.2m deep electrode. as this will be more stable than the 1.2m deep one even with a higher resistance.

Reply to Ze in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net