Discuss 1 meter Sky Dish in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sjhall

-
Reaction score
Hi Lads, I'm new to motorised sat dishes, I'm hoping to put a 1 meter dish on the back of my house, I've been given a little advice off one of my customers, he is advising on what box to buy and what sats to subscribe to... One thing he did say is I'd need to get someone in to position the dish at a cost of around £100 ... How hard is it to position ? Any of you lads know where I can get a tripod stand as I'm planning on having the dish on the flat roof of the dorma on my house..

Cheers

It's not that hard to position (but you'll want a decent sat meter, not one of the simple analogue ones, to get the best out of it).

As It's to be motorised it's critical to get the mount pole perfectly vertical, otherwise it won't track the clark belt properly. Also make sure that you have enough clearance for the dish to move both extremes west and east. If your receiver has usals, then use that to position the motor to a known sat to start with and then tune in on that sat. There used to be Thor at 0.2E degrees or thereabouts, that was ideal as a starting point, unfortunately that's no longer there. European sats here: Europe, Africa & Middle East - LyngSat

As above said above mate the mounting must be spot on for the satellite to track, also depending what satellites you want you might have to check that there are no physical obstructions.

The alignment needs to be done with a decent sat meter or spectrum analyser.

With regards to the mount you are best to t and k bracket or if it's going on a flat roof then a proper ground mount.

If you get stuck give me a shout and if you are struggling to find a mount I can get you a price on one.

There is no need for a satellite meter when undertaking this job. If you go to Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and enter in your postcode etc, you will be able to see the direction of all available satellites to you.
With the motor and dish set up facing "straight ahead" and with no left or right adjustment made, you then need to face your dish / motor etc directly south ( you can use the dishpointer website to locate 1 west )
Set up your satellite receiver to view 1 west and see what the picture quality is like, mosy satellite receivers to have a built in signal strength meter on the screen, so use that to fine tune your dish to face 1 west and get it as strong as possible. Assuming that your mounting pole is 100% vertical, all of the other satellites with be ok and you should follow most satellites on the clark belt from 30 west to 42 east. If you need anymore help just send me a PM and i shall try to help you.

You can pick up satellites that are not really in our satellite footprint coverage area. So basically you can get foreign channels.

If you wanted to ... but so, so many also broadcast in English. Also most film channels are in English. There are also loads of **** channels to choose from, and i dont think you need that to be in English ?? lol

If you wanted to ... but so, so many also broadcast in English. Also most film channels are in English. There are also loads of **** channels to choose from, and i dont think you need that to be in English ?? lol
thats true a grunts a grunt and a groan,s a groan in any language lol

1m Satellite dishes need to be mounted to thicker, stronger, satellite poles with large,

T & K brackets.

In a violent storm they will generate very large torsional forces powerful enough to take

the pole and dish down.

Smaller satellite dishes are far less affected by the wind.

Aluminium dishes are preferable to steel, as they are far lighter and last longer.

Last edited:

Reply to 1 meter Sky Dish in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock