Discuss 10mA rcd tripping on Zs test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
As above, taking a Zs measurement on a circuit covered by a 10mA rcd. Tripping the rcd on a no trip, three lead test using a Megger 1721. Is there a change in the settings I’ve forgotten about to allow a Zs to be taken. Oh, testing at a socket rather than source.
TIA

Link out line and cpc at the end of the circuit and test using no trip setting at the device.

For some reason I thought there was an option to reduce the test current on the Megger, but it appears there isn’t.
So Ze +(R1+R2) it is.
Thanks guys.
PS can’t remember the last time I had to test with a 10mA rcd in place!

If your going to the trouble of linking the line and cpc at the end of the circuit then you may as well measure the R1+R2 and add it to the Ze/zs/zdb or am I missing something ?
If you have the line and cpc linked for R1+R2 then for the sake of a few extra seconds just test the Zs at the device instead of calculating.

Is that an approved test method?
Never seen that method before, not in gn3 anyway.
Not sure about GN3 but it is in the book "Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations" It was common practice before the introduction of no trip settings on meters.

For some reason I thought there was an option to reduce the test current on the Megger, but it appears there isn’t.
So Ze +(R1+R2) it is.
Thanks guys.
PS can’t remember the last time I had to test with a 10mA rcd in place!

I know you can change the mA, see 5:40 onwards. 10mA is the minimum setting.

Edit: I've just looked through the megger manual & there's no mention of changing the trip current

Last edited:
Yep,you would need about 5mA ....not sure that would warrant a good enough test...i think rubbing me wooly jumper,produces more :)

I tend to favour the link out and test at high current method, just because it's what I've done for years, and it gives me a more accurate measurement than the low current test most of the time, also it amazes me sometimes how much an rcd will influence the result if testing both way. BG rcds seem to be the worst for raising the Zs readings!

Reply to 10mA rcd tripping on Zs test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock