Discuss 12 volts light, unknown in current watts and volts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can someone help me, I have a Christmas tree light that plug into a car 12 volts cigarette socket. Last Christmas one of those bulb was fused, today I am prepare to find a new bulb but the bulbs doesn't show what volts and watts so that is the difficult part. I have 10 bulbs on a tree so is that required a 12 volts or 6 volts or 3 volts bulb? what about the watts some are 0.25, 0.38 and 1 watts. I have not got any clue which to purchase it.

Thanks Fab.

Remove one bulb completely from its socket. However many lights go out is the number of bulbs in series. Divide 12 by this number to get the bulb voltage.

If no other bulbs go out, they are 12V and wired in parallel so can be any wattage provded they don't overheat the socket. If they are in series groups, then all bulbs in that group must be the same wattage. If your replacement is too high a wattage, the other bulbs in its group will run too bright and fail early. Some experimentation might be needed unless you have a multimeter.

Remove one bulb completely from its socket. However many lights go out is the number of bulbs in series. Divide 12 by this number to get the bulb voltage.

If no other bulbs go out, they are 12V and wired in parallel so can be any wattage provded they don't overheat the socket. If they are in series groups, then all bulbs in that group must be the same wattage. If your replacement is too high a wattage, the other bulbs in its group will run too bright and fail early. Some experimentation might be needed unless you have a multimeter.

Thanks I will try this. Fab

Unlikely, but the box the lights came in might have bulb size on it.... or on a label flapping about near the plug end.

they tend not to be replaceable bulbs now. Go get a new set of shiny LED

Reply to 12 volts light, unknown in current watts and volts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net