Discuss 12500 new electricians required. Does this mean even lower wages in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Over 12,500 electricians needed for new technology skills demand - The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership - https://www.the-esp.org.uk/latest-news/over-12500-electricians-needed-for-new-technology-skills-demand/

This is what an industry training organisations TESP is saying, bit of course they would . Self interest supersedes all other considerations.

What do you think, there is still little or no work in the nation's capital
It will mean lower standards judging by some of the training going on around the country

I got sent this text a little while ago:
Hi
Looking for a Multi-trade electrician/ plumber for TOMORROW (Friday) for on going work based in EC2 - shoreditch.
MUST be able to: Fix fans, Check electrical shower heads and potentially replace, fix Hot water dispenser , Replace Ballast, Door closure finish
Rate:tearsofjoy:14.28 per hour
Call Maya on 02039170690 ASAP!
Kind regards
Maya - Daniel Owen

How can any one live on that rate. What do they want an electrician or a plumbers mate. I find I'm having to dropbox examples of my work because of a mistrust between agency's employers and electricians. Is it because many impersonators are circulating that we all have this dummed down attitude. It makes me want to walk away from the industry forever and try something really smart like sell cars. I met a guy in Australia that was fitting frameless shower screens. He mounted 4 brackets and applied silicone seal, I helped him out on a few days
He would turn over 8-10K a week. There's something wrong somewhere

I agree Steve......when the living wage is pushing a tenner an HR us sparks should be on ÂŁ20 ph basic.

From the report it seems they don't require electricians for some of the roles, ex wife's son is going to Uni to do a degree and hopefully a masters in AI, that's going to be a growth market.

Me personally I will be running courses in survival skills and how to kill and kin another human for food for when the apocalypse happens durine to climate change and when the Chinks blow up all the nuclear power stations they have built around the world.

This whole industry is going sideways

I know gardeners earning more than me now and they work 8-2 most days

How can any one live on that rate. What do they want an electrician or a plumbers mate. I find I'm having to dropbox examples of my work because of a mistrust between agency's employers and electricians. Is it because many impersonators are circulating that we all have this dummed down attitude. It makes me want to walk away from the industry forever and try something really smart like sell cars. I met a guy in Australia that was fitting frameless shower screens. He mounted 4 brackets and applied silicone seal, I helped him out on a few days
He would turn over 8-10K a week. There's something wrong somewhere
So you must have earn't a few K out of it?

The industry is slowly consuming itself.

1. Biggest problem - lowering of standards. Public not being educated on the importance of a safe, quality job. NIC, Elecsa, Napit, Stroma etc should be running ads on TV etc.

2. Unqualified builders, kitchen/bathroom fitters etc shouldn't be allowed to touch electrical work. Should be a criminal offence with a minimum fine of ÂŁ5000 IMO if you're not qualified and not providing certification. The scam who it's reported to and gathers evidence should get half that money to incentivise them.

3. Poor quality training in many places for youngsters coming into the trade. Too much emphasis in the big firms/agencies on thrashing through jobs as quickly and cheaply as possible.

4. Influx of uncontrolled cheap labour. Problem in many industries. The elite don't want to see this end as it eats into their profits.

5. Misleading advertising companies should be banned or have to have prominent warnings. Checkatrade et al are nothing more than paid advertising masquerading as regulating/standards authority. Many more people have heard of them though than NIC, Elecsa etc!

We don't need nanny state monitoring from profiteering organisations such as JIB ECA NIC NAPIT don't need it. Just need qualified card bearing sparks that stand alone as responsible for the good or bad work with appropriate penalties for dangerous or less than spec compliant work. A builder is gonna think twice about trying to pretend to be a spark if is house and his savings are on the line. Why all the bs so called industry bodies taking cash of the poor old spark in the name of compliance or standards. 12500 reasons to think about a new way of making a living

I don't know what everybody is flapping about.....out of that supposed 12500,8000 are going to do more harm,than good,and that will require top men,to sort out;)

All my life,i have seen these "we need x number of xxxx's"

The truth is,we might....but getting,training and paying them,always seems to be the cause of it never happening :)

Standards today:
Wiring up some PIRs in Student accommodation.
Me:
You’ve given me 3 core flex, we need 4 core.
Perm Live, Neutral, Earth and Switch Live.
Response:
Nah, just put some black tape round the Earth core and that’s the Perm Live.

Reply to 12500 new electricians required. Does this mean even lower wages in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock