Discuss 15 volts on lighting circuit with circuit turned off? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Whilst carrying out an ECR yesterday I was doing an r1r2 test on a lighting circuit (downlights) in a new extension and noticed that I was getting 15v L-N and 15v L-E with the circuit de-energised.

To cut a long story short after some investigation, I noticed that the 15v was coming from the existing main ground floor lighting circuit, which is on a completely different circuit (on a separate consumer unit). And the 15v only appears when the existing downlights s/l is energised.

The only time the 2 x separate circuits cross path to my knowledge is via the 3 x light switches via 3 cores, as the other set of downlight are on the other side of the RSJ. There are no neutrals in the switches, and even when I disconnected the main feed on the problematic circuit I'm still getting LN-LE voltage without them being connected.

Any ideas?

might be an idea to recheck with an analogue meter to eliminate the possibility of stray ghost voltages caused by cables of different circuits being in close proximity.

I did think of it being a ghost voltage and you may be right.
But would I be getting L-N L-E readings (15v) with the neutral and earth disconnected on the suspect circuit?

Hi - yes, I vote for floating / induction too. If you have a 1k resistor (for example) put it across the 15v and hopefully it collapses to zero. Perhaps run insulation test between the 2 Ls? Maybe they are not so independent? Cheers, David

Last edited:

Reply to 15 volts on lighting circuit with circuit turned off? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Strange on this, we are wiring an extension at the moment and I would like to 3 way the (currently 2 way) landing switch to the new bedroom so...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I have some industrial lighting circuits to wire in a workshop and was after some fresh ideas/suggestions as to how i could best do this...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm in need of some advice. First of all i'm not an electrician but do have an understanding of electrics as i come from an electronics...
Replies
Views
Kitchen led lights have all of a sudden dimmed by about 30% no dimmer in the system. There are 2 switches for this set of lights. Regardless of...
Replies
Views
As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock