Discuss 16mm T&E tails on 100amp fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are saying that the meter tails are 16mm from the switch fuse with hopefully a 60A fuse that is perfectly acceptable as long as certain criteria is met overcurrent is afforded by the 60A fuse so just need to ensure there is short circuit protection.
It is the same principle that you find when switch-fuses are joined onto a bus-bar chamber.

I'd say that by virtue of the switch fuse being present the 16mm T&E is a sub-main. I'd just check the fuse in that and fit a 60a cartridge if necessary. And it's only recently that this sub-main requires RCD protection to be compliant [Assuming reasonably low Ze] so in my opinion that doesn't make it dangerous. Just note it on the certificate.

I'd say that by virtue of the switch fuse being present the 16mm T&E is a sub-main. I'd just check the fuse in that and fit a 60a cartridge if necessary. And it's only recently that this sub-main requires RCD protection to be compliant [Assuming reasonably low Ze] so in my opinion that doesn't make it dangerous. Just note it on the certificate.

Okay, never considered that would be called a submain so that's good info. Will check tomorrow when the house was constructed but im sure it no older than 5 years.

The regulation regarding a cable buried within the wall at a depth equal or less than 50mm being RCD protected has been around from at least 2008 17th edition reg 522.6.6 refers.

Did a job earlier in a new build, part of a 5 year old new build estate in the darkest depths of kent. Anyhow opened up CU and saw 16mm tails so assumed would be on 80a fuse as there not huge demand. Then outside to check service head and main fuse is labelled 100a ?, the tails are 16mm t&e.
I did nor remove the fuse carrier to check the actual fuse as it was sealed :rolleyes:

Anyhow my point is, ive already installed new circuit and have to issue an EIC, I will be writing in comments box write what I found and that it looks wrong. However looking forward what should I do about this. The customer wont be happy me turning off all the power; I told him to contact the people he bought the house from and raise the point.

Another thing I found includes a spur that don't switch off the load in garage that its labelled to do. Its not right is it, brand new house as well, and theres hundreds of them.

The distributers protection (service head bullit) on a condition report should normally be recorded as a "LIM"...

Next, use your intuition to determine what the max. Demand for each supply is/should likely be...
P.S.
It won't be 80 chuffin amps...thats for sure...

The bigger issue here for me...is whether or not it complies with the requirements of certain DNO's in regards to length of run from the service head (usually 3 meters...i think)...

Last edited:
The bigger issue here for me...is whether or not it complies with the requirements of certain DNO's in regards to length of run from the service head (usually 3 meters...i think)...

It's fed from a switch fuse though.

Its not a sub main, its a semi detached house with its own single phase supply.

Submain Is the common name for any distribution circuit which is part of the consumers installation. The type of property or incoming supply is irrelevant, if it is a circuit with ocpd etc on the consumers side of the meter and it feeds a DB, CU etc then it is a submain.

Checked again today and switch fuse has an 80A. Took some pics of the t&e serving the CU, as you can see theres no glands, no cleats, no rcd to be found. Not sure if theres mechanical protection where the t&e goes into building; what are your thoughts on this. The building was constucted in 2016.
DSCF2004.JPG DSCF2005.JPG DSCF2006.JPG DSCF2007.JPG

Last edited:
Glanding into the switch-fuse could be better. Looking at the photo's I am guessing that the 16mm T&E goes up into the cavity which can have its own non-compliant issues and then in joist space to consumer unit at ceiling height that way removing the requirement for RCD protection. Although in practice the house would not normally take 80A more like 40A and the 16mm can take that the cable should be rated more than the fuse rating. 80A is on the borderline of clipped direct.

Checked again today and switch fuse has an 80A. Took some pics of the t&e serving the CU, as you can see theres no glands, no cleats, no rcd to be found. Not sure if theres mechanical protection where the t&e goes into building; what are your thoughts on this. The building was constucted in 2016.
View attachment 48408 View attachment 48409 View attachment 48410 View attachment 48411

I might of glanded em if it were me...
But I've seen plenty of entry's into enclosures done like that...
The bit where they've appeared to have just brayed a hole in the side of whatever it is looks a bit dog Shyte though...

View attachment 48408 View attachment 48409 View attachment 48410 View attachment 48411

I might of glanded em if it were me...
But I've seen plenty of entry's into enclosures done like that...
The bit where they've appeared to have just brayed a hole in the side of whatever it is looks a bit dog Shyte though...

A few years ago I took an Nic inspector to an EICR as part of my annual visit. It had 16mm tails but the cutout was an older type with 60a fuse. I had put the tail size was Ok for the fuse although I hadn't checked it physically (it was a 60a cutout). He argued the ---- with me. I said I hadn't removed it as it was sealed but it was a 60a cutout. He wouldn't leave it and made me confirm in writing after a physical inspection by DNO the size of the fuse!

Have the rules changed ?? Assess the maximum demand of the installation, if this does not exceed 60 Amps then 16mm tails are acceptable. I think NICEIC inspector told me this. Make a note on the certificate. It's important that any additions to the connected load do not exceed the rating of the tails.

Have the rules changed ?? Assess the maximum demand of the installation, if this does not exceed 60 Amps then 16mm tails are acceptable. I think NICEIC inspector told me this. Make a note on the certificate. It's important that any additions to the connected load do not exceed the rating of the tails.
Hibreasoning was that because I hadn't physically inspected the fuse it could be 100a protecting tails rated at say 80a.

Reply to 16mm T&E tails on 100amp fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net