Discuss 1st flats with concrete ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I didn’t know quinetic did dimmer switches I will look into that. Last time I checked them out they were just normal switches. Thanks for the update.

With regards to the dropping cable issues I thought the introduction of metal fixings was to prevent exiting homeowners and subsequently firemen from becoming entangled in cables. Apparently I was informed on my 18th that two firemen have died as a direct result of this.

I’m just wondering how any electrician is meant to provide such a fixing when in the above situation. In a house you can route cables through existing holes or notches in timbers. This apartment plasterboard ceiling is fitting into metal framing that’s then fixed to the reinforced concrete above. To adequately support the cable so it’s not dropping and putting strain anywhere would require multiple holes to be cut out so something like linian clips could be installed (subject to any structural engineers reports).

What should be a straight forward job of moving a light switch suddenly turns into a much more significant job to meet regs.

I have no doubt there are other people out there who would just pull the cable through and not worry about it. My work is usually house based so I haven’t experienced this situation before so I was wondering what other more experienced people do in this situation.

Maybe I’m just overthinking the situation. But the regs are the regs.

Many thanks for your ideas and responses though. I appreciate it.
I agree ideally the cables should have independent support along their length.
However, as I stated previously, a normal 12mm plasterboard ceiling is inherently fire rated for at least 30 minutes. And such a plasterboard ceiling is more than capable of supporting the weight of a few twin and earth cables indefinitely.

I agree ideally the cables should have independent support along their length.
However, as I stated previously, a normal 12mm plasterboard ceiling is inherently fire rated for at least 30 minutes. And such a plasterboard ceiling is more than capable of supporting the weight of a few twin and earth cables indefinitely.
Understood. Thank you very much for your advice, time, and ideas. Have a good weekend.

Reply to 1st flats with concrete ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock