Search the forum,

Discuss 2.5mm flat cable with a sleeved CPC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is no coincidence that T&E with a bare reduced size earth conductor came around the coper shortage of the Rhodesia crisis of 1965.
Rubber T+E was a good bit previous to that.
..and I'm sure some 7/029 twin had a 3/029 or 3/036 earth.

N Ireland sellers sell to the south cable that is not common in the UK? So they sell to the south, the south's own standard of cable? I know it is made in China in most cases.

I'd imagine they stock it for a couple of reasons.

Many electricians will work both sides of the border - especially those located close to it. Works for the electrician and works for the wholesaler.

Larger wholesalers will also deliver to anywhere on the island as doing so is easy, quick and relatively cheap. No point in touting for ROI business, if you don't keep what they need.

Discussion about Irish T&E was covered in this thread, some time back, which included some additional information.
Good thread you linked to there. Since that was posted we have fully transitioned to using the new T&E. The big issue was getting used to new containment sizes.(wavin, mini trunking etc).The ROI 2.5mm T&E is physically the same size as the UK 6mm T&E.
However we are now enjoying the advantages of no sleeving and no more complicated mathematics when filling in test record sheets. We'll worth the "17%" extra copper pc1966 mentioned. In my opinion

Good thread you linked to there. Since that was posted we have fully transitioned to using the new T&E. The big issue was getting used to new containment sizes.(wavin, mini trunking etc).The ROI 2.5mm T&E is physically the same size as the UK 6mm T&E.
However we are now enjoying the advantages of no sleeving and no more complicated mathematics when filling in test record sheets. We'll worth the "17%" extra copper pc1966 mentioned. In my opinion

New installations should have no down side, other than increased cost.

Where I could see it being a real pain is rewires. Pulling two legs of Irish 2.5 T&E through 20mm conduit isn't going to happen.

Where I could see it being a real pain is rewires. Pulling two legs of Irish 2.5 T&E through 20mm conduit isn't going to happen.
Rewires are a pain... period. In truth it would be rare to get 2 legs of the UK t&e through 20mm pipe (unless it's round rather than oval). But what I do is pull a single leg through and try and plan the circuit so that particular socket ends up as the last point on the radial

Radials galore, 2 bed apartment. one for.living room, one for each bedroom , 1 for kitchen, then microwave, w/m and d/washer all on one radial on a 3 gang linked grid switch.
No shitty sleeving tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2.5mm flat cable with a sleeved CPC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net