Discuss 2.5mm flat cable with a sleeved CPC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin and earth cable, 6242Y, with smaller cpc, has never been produced as such.
6193Y with 3 cores of the same size and insulated earth is available and meets the ROI requirements, I believe.

on a side note , I think it’s nuts that we the u.k haven’t adopted twin @ earth with a sheeved cpc Yet.
no more Faffing about with little pieces of earth sleeve
steady on. it's only 50 years since we went metric. ( a backward step, IMO, I'm still 5'8"and 12st. 10lb. ).

The Irish cable is superior for sure. All conductors being insulated with the CPC the same size as the L & N. Does the cable conform to the UK requirements?

As a kid I recall an old electrician say, "the largest sized conductor on a circuit must the earth cable". How matters have changed.

The Irish cable is superior for sure. All conductors being insulated with the CPC the same size as the L & N. Does the cable conform to the UK requirements?

As a kid I recall an old electrician say, "the largest sized conductor on a circuit must the earth cable". How matters have changed.
I wouldnt say the earth should be the ‘largest’ but imo it should be equal size to phase

on a side note , I think it’s nuts that we the u.k haven’t adopted twin @ earth with a sheeved cpc Yet.
no more Faffing about with little pieces of earth sleeve
I've always wondered this myself. I gues its just easier & cheaper for the manufacturers to omit it, if its unrequired.

I've always wondered this myself. I gues its just easier & cheaper for the manufacturers to omit it, if its unrequired.
Everything in the UK is done on the cheap. Final Ring circuits, omitting insulation from a cable, poky cheap and nasty consumer units, etc.

Having full-size CPC is basically wasted copper. The CPC exists to clear a fault, and if the circuit is designed to meet the required disconnection time / let-through energy then larger is simply not needed.

For some things, like long extension leads, that disconnection characteristic might not always be met, and for other practical manufacturing reasons reasons you might choose to make them all the same size.

I think you mean sized large enough to activate a disconnecting device.
Electricty always wants to return back to where it orginated - the generator, transformer, battery, etc. The earth wire was to parallel the Neutral return to the generator or origin - either full, all geh way back, or party by connecti g to the N at some point on its way back. So that if there is a fault, it gets back to where it came from. So it needed to be the same size as L and N. Seems modern disconnecting safety devices have changed the view.

Before the days of green / yellow I do recall having some 1.0mm single and earth where the earth wire was sheathed green.

The metric system is crap. I am 183 cm high and 76 kg.
impossible for me to visualise those measurements.

e.g. a gallon of water weights 10lb. sssimpless. but 4.54l weighs 4.54 kellogs, stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2.5mm flat cable with a sleeved CPC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net