Discuss 2.5mm2 on with CPC cut off to 32amp mcb Is this normal ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

archee

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

A question to all the sparkles out there who could explain this mess to me please.

Bought a house built in 2000’s found this

2.5mm2 cable running to loft for radial sockets via FSU ( they had 3 amp fuse in there lol ) connected to mcb 32a as you can see for some reason they decided instead of connecting cpc to the rail just to cut it off.

Does that sound like an absolute joke or am I missing something ?

Thanks

Attachments

• D6A059CE-CD97-4385-90B4-F975596EDAA6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • BA5D2D11-C3C8-41F6-8693-173CF4D5C853.jpeg
    942.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 47BDD083-AAD0-4DA3-8DA9-F5546D4B642D.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 54
There looks to be enough CPC left to get a connector block on to extend it to the earth bar. I would hazard a guess that a fault was causing the RCD to trip, this was the incorrect solution to stop the tripping.
I will replace the whole cable just in case its an old cable and has been jammed between ceiling joists in the loft, very visible breakage in insulation with copper showing, who knows what it’s like further down. Probably why the rcd was tripping anyway.

Thank you

Very worrying that someone has done that, especially on a socket circuit. They've also mismatched manufacturers.

Very worrying that someone has done that, especially on a socket circuit. They've also mismatched manufacturers.
missing the busbar shield too.

2000’s house but in old colours gives it a 5 year window when they should have stopped using red/black by ‘05

The mismatched devices look very similar so maybe just a new name? Same design.

A 2.5 radial should be on a 16 or 20A OCPD, we don’t know if there’s any other points on the circuit.

2000’s house but in old colours gives it a 5 year window when they should have stopped using red/black by ‘05

A 2.5 radial should be on a 16 or 20A OCPD, we don’t know if there’s any other points on the circuit.
This bodge job looks like a much later addition ? The fact you can still purchase full rolls of R/B twin&earth even to this day makes dating installs near impossible

This bodge job looks like a much later addition ? The fact you can still purchase full rolls of R/B twin&earth even to this day makes dating installs near impossible
I don't think that most that are gonna cut corners are gonna be too worried about using Brown & Blue rather than making the effort to try and source Red & Black. Whats most likely to see is the using up of old stock from back at the time the colours changed, the same with old Green earth sleeving when it changed to Green/Yellow

Hi,

A question to all the sparkles out there who could explain this mess to me please.

Bought a house built in 2000’s found this

2.5mm2 cable running to loft for radial sockets via FSU ( they had 3 amp fuse in there lol ) connected to mcb 32a as you can see for some reason they decided instead of connecting cpc to the rail just to cut it off.

Does that sound like an absolute joke or am I missing something ?

Thanks
Is that the Fcu in the pic ?

If the 2 other reds on that MCB are a ring final, then a 2.5mm² is acceptable for a correctly designed spur. Not including the earth is not acceplable even for that run only a foot long.

Ican't see anythin at the FCU but is there any chance an earth has been picked from another point?

It may be the light or angle but it looks to me the MCB to the right has a 2.5 & 1.5mm²

If the 2 other reds on that MCB are a ring final, then a 2.5mm² is acceptable for a correctly designed spur. Not including the earth is not acceplable even for that run only a foot long.

Ican't see anythin at the FCU but is there any chance an earth has been picked from another point?

It may be the light or angle but it looks to me the MCB to the right has a 2.5 & 1.5mm²
sockets in the attic are missing earth it’s a straight wire down to the CU, so I doubt they have picked up earth from anywhere else.

Reply to 2.5mm2 on with CPC cut off to 32amp mcb Is this normal ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net