Discuss 2 gang 2 way light switch puzzle in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’ve taken off and old two way two gang switch to replace with new one for more modern fascia and cannot get new switch two work. I’ve resorted to the attached which allows the other switches downstairs to work as they should. How do I get the wires into this switch to match how they are connected now??? DA02BB12-82BC-4313-ABC1-F793FEE5849F.jpeg28853947-EAEB-4E06-BADF-ABE48D1D82AD.jpeg

No way I can see what's from what from here! You should have taken a pic with the old switch still connected.
The only thing I will say is connect nothing to the terminals marked loop. Very unusual to see these on a plate switch.

i did try to put the old switch back on and couldn’t get It working!So annoyed I didn’t take a photo! Ok, noted on the loop..That’s two less terminals to worry about! Are both the blue and the black neutral? I know the switches downstairs work how it is now so maybe I’ll just leave it is as it is for a while

Are both the blue and the black neutral?
The blue is old wiring colour live, rather than new wiring colour neutral, and the black may be in use as a live. It should have a small piece of red sleeving on it if if is, but it may have slipped off or never been fitted.
Just can't tell from here without knowing the original switch connections. If they were originally connected together and to nothing else, they could be neutrals, but they could equally be something to do with the strappers for two way switching.

Do you have any test kit and knoe how to use it, if you don't I think you will be struggling

You might want to check this with a multimeter, but the terminal marked loop is for the neutrals. It won’t have any internal connection to the other terminals in any way.

Com, L1 and L2 but maybe not where they are positioned on the old switch.

Ok so attached 2 versions of original switch.

Red a,b,c are in a wago together now and red d is with blue and black wago. Third wago has last 3 reds. This works - circuit is complete and switch down stairs works.

When I took off the original switch neither red a or red b were in a terminal (come loose when I pulled switch off) so I’m not sure if they came out a terminal each or were together.

Attachments

• FFE0D378-34AD-47D6-862B-9D2C78213B15.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 8478482C-FD32-4286-AB72-CEED8A60B444.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 13

Reply to 2 gang 2 way light switch puzzle in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net