Discuss 2 Weeks of MCS Accreditation Talk - Gaining MCS & Maintaining MCS - Expires March 1st in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: 2 Weeks of MCS Accreditation Talk - Gaining MCS & Maintaining MCS - Expires March

When the panels are installed, what actually needs to be tested on the roof please? I know that there are positive and negative DC connections, but will just checking the voltage of each panel (prior to mounting them on the roof) suffice, or do other things need to be checked? Thanks very much in advance.

Sarah

I'm here more for the paperwork side than the technical, but you are required to complete a PV Array Test report along with a PV Installation Checklist. You can find the layout for these in the DTI Guide to PV in Buildings, which is the "bible" for the technical side. both these documents would be given to the customer in the Handover Pack and a copy kept for the Contract File.

Re: 2 Weeks of MCS Accreditation Talk - Gaining MCS & Maintaining MCS - Expires March

Sarah

I'm here more for the paperwork side than the technical, but you are required to complete a PV Array Test report along with a PV Installation Checklist. You can find the layout for these in the DTI Guide to PV in Buildings, which is the "bible" for the technical side. both these documents would be given to the customer in the Handover Pack and a copy kept for the Contract File.

That's what we do, it seems the persons involved don't know what they're talking about, even NAPIT have the following on their website, "Companies carrying out installation of microgeneration technologies must comply with the relevant Building Regulations. In addition, if installations are to attract funding under the Low Carbon Buildings Programme*, installers must be certificated under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) which operates under the authority of the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)."

Thankyou for your comments

I have my MCS assessment visit booked for March, do I need to leave the scaffolding up until then? When my installation is fully tested, am I allowed to leave the system energised (i.e. AC and DC switches closed) for the few weeks until the assessment?
Thanks

I have my MCS assessment visit booked for March, do I need to leave the scaffolding up until then? When my installation is fully tested, am I allowed to leave the system energised (i.e. AC and DC switches closed) for the few weeks until the assessment?
Thanks

With a normal domestic installation you don't need to leave the scaffolding in place, you should however have a step ladder and torch at hand should the assessor require one. I suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you take some photographs of the installation, eg roof penetrations etc.

You can leave the installation switched on, but remember (assuming this is under 16A per phase) that you should inform the DNO within 30 days of connecting to the grid.

That's what we do, it seems the persons involved don't know what they're talking about, even NAPIT have the following on their website, "Companies carrying out installation of microgeneration technologies must comply with the relevant Building Regulations. In addition, if installations are to attract funding under the Low Carbon Buildings Programme*, installers must be certificated under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) which operates under the authority of the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)."

Thankyou for your comments

Is this more to do with informing Building Control? Remember that in most cases a PV Installation is treated by Building Control as an electrical job. However, there are structural issues involved and this can cause problems. If you have a particular sticking point, give me a call and I'll see if I can help.

Hi,
I have had a 4.0 kwp PV system installed by an MCS installer last October. All appears to be running well & I've recently received my first modest FIT payment. I'm just a domestic user, not an installer.
Would you tell me please, whether my PV system ever needs to be inspected or have some sort of audit by the MCS or other elevant authority? If so do a get some sort of written notification of such?
Thank you in anticipation of your answer.
JohnnyK.

Hi,
I have had a 4.0 kwp PV system installed by an MCS installer last October. All appears to be running well & I've recently received my first modest FIT payment. I'm just a domestic user, not an installer.
Would you tell me please, whether my PV system ever needs to be inspected or have some sort of audit by the MCS or other elevant authority? If so do a get some sort of written notification of such?
Thank you in anticipation of your answer.
JohnnyK.

Johnny

It is possible that the installation may be chosen to be looked at either at re assessment or on an MCS Spotcheck. You would normally be contacted and a convenient day and time arranged.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have completed a NICEIC solar installer course and passed it cost me £660 seems the next stage is to pay easy mcs £500+ for some QMS paperwork it would save me time and money if you could just post a QMS as a downloadable pdf I can then adapt it to suit my business plan. Thanks Rob PS thanks for all your help

I have completed a NICEIC solar installer course and passed it cost me £660 seems the next stage is to pay easy mcs £500+ for some QMS paperwork it would save me time and money if you could just post a QMS as a downloadable pdf I can then adapt it to suit my business plan. Thanks Rob PS thanks for all your help

Rob

There's more to passing than the QMS. The assessor will need to see evidence that you are operating to it. If you need us give us a call.

Can I ask for advice relating to the Green Deal and prospects for increased business. Being an accredited heatpump installer and having had recent setbacks I am looking to increase the prospects for my company. I suspect the role of the energy assessors could be important and I would like to know whether this would benefit my company. I am looking to increase services we provide as per the green deal list on the NAPIT website. Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

sbrown2

Can I ask for advice relating to the Green Deal and prospects for increased business. Being an accredited heatpump installer and having had recent setbacks I am looking to increase the prospects for my company. I suspect the role of the energy assessors could be important and I would like to know whether this would benefit my company. I am looking to increase services we provide as per the green deal list on the NAPIT website. Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

sbrown2

Final decisions are still to be made on The Green Deal, there is a view that MCS Certification should be accepted as equivalence to whatever is decided on the installation side. It was certainly part of the consultation document that ISO 9001 would be accepted. However, this may be different for the Assessor side.

If you are an MCS Certificated Heat Pump installer, your procedures would cover all you do from beginning to end in regard to a Heat Pump Installation. If you where interested in the energy assessing side you would need to write additional procedures to cover this, with plenty of reference to the "Golden Rule" etc.

We are still awaiting final details on how all this is going to be governed, but we will be keeping our ear to the ground and be ready to go when required. If you want us to keep you in touch with developments you can register your interest at www.greendealcertified.com

I am sure you can use sub contractors as long as they are "competent and or suitably trained
" i would assume you would be checking and testing their works and if any good could therefore become your aproved subcontractor.
All main contractors use sub contarctors last year we were working for carilion as a sub contractor. the industry in general could not survive if every one had to be employed.
I would make sure they have the appopriate certificates and insurances in place and make up a basic subcontractor pack
Hope this helps some

I am sure you can use sub contractors as long as they are "competent and or suitably trained
" i would assume you would be checking and testing their works and if any good could therefore become your aproved subcontractor.
All main contractors use sub contarctors last year we were working for carilion as a sub contractor. the industry in general could not survive if every one had to be employed.
I would make sure they have the appopriate certificates and insurances in place and make up a basic subcontractor pack
Hope this helps some

Lucky

That seems to sum it up perfectly!

When you ask someone to carry out something on your behalf you should be able to provide evidence as to why they where competent to do it.

what is it all about? is it for everybodyand where will it be held

I have read through this thread in response to an email notification that you were here and am now thoroughly confused. I am a sole trader (in the literal sense, I am on my own) as an electrician. I have been phoned up several times in the past to do PV installations "in my area", by individuals setting themselves up a accredited installers. To date I have turned down all these approaches and having read this I am glad I did. The desk time needed per installation seems disproportionate to the "work" done and the income gained. By desk time I include training, upgrades, paperwork etc. etc. In now looking into what is involved I now find myself completely baffled as to the difference between Easy MCS and http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/installers/certification-bodies. I can find no mention of yourselves or are you and MCS one and the same?

I have read through this thread in response to an email notification that you were here and am now thoroughly confused. I am a sole trader (in the literal sense, I am on my own) as an electrician. I have been phoned up several times in the past to do PV installations "in my area", by individuals setting themselves up a accredited installers. To date I have turned down all these approaches and having read this I am glad I did. The desk time needed per installation seems disproportionate to the "work" done and the income gained. By desk time I include training, upgrades, paperwork etc. etc. In now looking into what is involved I now find myself completely baffled as to the difference between Easy MCS and The Microgeneration Certification Scheme - Certification Bodies. I can find no mention of yourselves or are you and MCS one and the same?

We are a company who help businesses large and small to gain MCS Certification - we are not the MCS Scheme. We put together your Quality Management System for you, which is usually the main thing that stops, certainly one man bands, going for certification. We assign you a mentor who will guide you through all the requirements, including the competancies you would need to have in place. We don't leave you until you have passed, and will help you with any Non conformities the assessor may raise.

If you need any further details or clarifications please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reply to 2 Weeks of MCS Accreditation Talk - Gaining MCS & Maintaining MCS - Expires March 1st in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net