Discuss 2006 Honda Civic Headlight Switch Buzzing & Headlight bulbs blowing regularly in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, first time posting on here and after much Googling this is my last resort for some help on this topic.

My friend has a 2006 Honda Civic that is known to have a common problem with headlight bulbs blowing quite regularly. He's noticed recently that the headlight switch (located on the end of the indicator stalk - rotate to turn sidelights, headlights on/off etc) buzzes/makes a horrible fizzing sound when turned on or off. He thinks this is almost directly linked to the bulbs blowing every few months but I'm unsure. I will upload a photo of the indicator stalk (from Google) if it helps in any way at all in identifying the cause of the issue.

Could it be a grounding problem? I know cars are known for not having the best electrical systems from factory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

231313902923_1.JPG

Headlights take a lot of power. even 55W bulbs x 2 is 110w at 12V is nearly 10 amps. That's a lot to put through a rotary stalk switch.
I'd have expected a relay. However this diagram:
Upozorenje o prebacivanju - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiAju63l4rZAhXJIcAKHReCAmsQjRx6BAgAEAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pugaddicts.co.uk%2F2016%2F02%2Fsolved-2005-honda-civic-both-headlights.html&psig=AOvVaw2R3J9DRgiQIsGbHUuekKfV&ust=1517762333711206

Shows there is a relay but it only switches the 12V+ to the headlamps. The operation is via grounding done in the switch.
So yes if the switch is breaking down and fizzing there will be a volt drop and the varying current to the lamp may accelerate the failure.
I suspect a new stalk switch is needed (avoid a used one as it may be as bad)

Reply to 2006 Honda Civic Headlight Switch Buzzing & Headlight bulbs blowing regularly in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net