Discuss 2391 returning, well on website it is anyway? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was randomly on the C+G site today, and happened across the old 2391 course showing as "Coming soon April 2017".

Im confused, they bringing back an old certificate again, anyone have any info. Purely just curious myself, i got my 2391 over ten years ago, not doing it again.

Electrical Inspection and Testing qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds - http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/building-services-industry/electrical-installation/2391-electrical-inspection-and-testing#tab=information

Perhaps they have collected back enough of the 2391 s from us retired sparks that they have sufficient in number to make themselves a few bob extra :)

I have just looked at the documents and it appears that this 2391 is broken up into three different options
2391-50: Initial Verification
2391-51: Periodic Inspection.
2391-52: Combined Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection and Testing.
So you can either do the 2394 equivalent or the 2395 equivalent or the 2391 equivalent.
Interesting approach, I am not sure how training centres would manage this.
Still I suppose it has covered all the bases, yet now all those over the last few years who have 2394/5 will have an almost unknown qualification. "Surely it has always been the 2391 you need??"

More badge engineering?
With the increased interest in 2394/5 combined I guess they have found a way to make 3 courses out of 2 that was 1 . But I could be wrong, or cynical or both o_O

It looks to me like they've removed the design parts from the 2391 and made it into the 2396, is it worth me waiting until the new 2391-52 comes out before getting 2394/95?

It looks to me like they've removed the design parts from the 2391 and made it into the 2396, is it worth me waiting until the new 2391-52 comes out before getting 2394/95?
Good question !
I'm saving my pennies at present and this is an interesting turn of events. 2394/5 and 2391-52 are all level 3, so it will be interesting to see who will be the daddy ...
Edit : I've just emailed C&G for their advice :)

Last edited:
C&G 2340 was the one with the design element when I did 2391 and 2340, although I need not have done 2391 on it's own. 2340 was 3 untits passing 2 gave you a pass 2391 and the Design element gave you 2340, so in effect I or to be more correct my firm paid twice for 2391.

Good question !
I'm saving my pennies at present and this is an interesting turn of events. 2394/5 and 2391-52 are all level 3, so it will be interesting to see who will be the daddy ...
Edit : I've just emailed C&G for their advice :)
The good folks at C&G replied to me today, but I'm not any wiser (a tough ask, I know) :
"I have reviewed your query regarding the 2391-52 qualification and believe some further investigation is required from our support teams."
I'll keep you posted :)

when i did it, 2391 was testing and 2400 was design which as Pete said incorporated the testing elements. 2400 was a tough 3hr exam followed by a hefty assignment.

If were all confused what chance have employers got two candidates turn up Pete with his 2391 and parts 1,2 and C course and Westward with his 2394/5 & 2400 then you've got these EOL exams.

Reply to 2391 returning, well on website it is anyway? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net