Discuss 3 Phase Dis Board Incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

edit ...deleted my page was stuck in the past so missed several post which answered what i was asking.

Last edited:
Having a quick discussion in work with regards to sizing the main incomer of a three phase dis board. Can someone please tell me how the correct way to size the main incomer of a three phase board or single phase for that matter

Cheers

Folks

Don,t exceed the rating of the actual distribution board, in other words if the db is 100 amp rated then that's the maximum switch rating, if you have more load than that then you allow for a larger rated db yes?

3ph is no different from 1ph (you weigh up the loading on each phase)- your front end device should be rated for the load of the DB and Protected against overload of the supply cable, sorry but Im not really following what your asking exactly.

Are you asking how to determine loading of 3ph equipment like motors etc or how to balance loads .... hence more info i requested. Your question is too wide field to answer.

I am aware its not giving alot of info, Basically question is from an assignment giving to a lad I work with. Info giving is KW rating of 3 circuits, then asked to size sub circuit protection which is not an issue, also asked to size main incoming device and explain reasons why, thats where I feel more info is required.

Well you know the size of loads being connected to the DB, so your OCPD has to exceed them after diversity has been applied. Use the guides in the OSG for more info. Then simply use the equivalent or next size up main switch for the DB, not that difficult is it?

Thanks for educating me - 'Clearly, this is commercial or Industrial as its a 3ph board' .... don't get me wrong here we are the experienced educated members here.

Three phase boards thus supplies are found in domestic too ive done several over the years, we are trying to help you here so try not be so quick to denounce a question you are asked it was relevant to your query... on that note im out of here! Happy Learning.

Reply to 3 Phase Dis Board Incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net