Discuss 3 way switching relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm in a situation whereby the customer wants a light switch either side of the bed, and one by the door to control the centre room pendant. Unfortunately the type of switches they have across the rest of the house doesn't produce an intermediate switch.

Does anyone know any off the shelf relays where by I can use one or two way switches to solve this?

Andy

Hello there,

I'm in a situation whereby the customer wants a light switch either side of the bed, and one by the door to control the centre room pendant. Unfortunately the type of switches they have across the rest of the house doesn't produce an intermediate switch.

Does anyone know any off the shelf relays where by I can use one or two way switches to solve this?

Andy
Andy I’m sure you can put a 3 way switch on both sides of the bed and add a 4 way switch at the door. You are in the U.K. and I’m from the U.S. having said that I’m sure someone will be along shortly to help you since y’all have different ways of doing things. Your profile is very vague and I can’t advise you of ways of doing things. Good luck

There is no off the shelf relay solution to do this using standard 1 or 2 way switches.

Simple solution would be to use a make of switch that has an intermediate in there range.

If you absolutely have to stick with a range of switches that doesn’t have an intermediate switch then the only realistic solution is to add a plc to the circuit that deals with the logic.
Not always an ideal way of doing it but it will do the job you need.

Are the existing switches of the type that the switch can be unscrewed from the back of the plate?
Maybe they do a plain white intermediate that can be moved onto the matching plate?

Other than that, if no intermediate exists, then it’s not possible by conventional means

Put Quinetic receiver in the ceiling to control the light. Customer can then turn light on and off from bed using their smartphone. Everyone takes their smartphone to bed!

I could make it work with a DPDT relay. Perhaps positioned in the roof near the light fitting in question.
The only such relays I'm familiar with would definitely need to be inside an enclosure, they're not IP rated or touch protected to be loose in the wall/roof and wouldn't qualify as maintenance free.

Thanks so much for your help, I've managed to convince them to change the style of the light switch so I can wire things in the convential way.

It does highlight a possible gap in the market tho, if there was a device that you could wire all your switches to in two core with the device doing all the logic. It would mean you could get around the situation of having a 2g switch one being an intermediate and one being a 1 way etc.

I could make it work with a DPDT relay. Perhaps positioned in the roof near the light fitting in question.
The only such relays I'm familiar with would definitely need to be inside an enclosure, they're not IP rated or touch protected to be loose in the wall/roof and wouldn't qualify as maintenance free.

Although as suggested by @pc1966 it would need a neutral for the relay coil, I think wiring a dpdt relay to mimic the action of an intermediate switch is a creative and an excellent solution to a difficult problem.

These Aussies are not as daft as some of them pretend to be!!

@ElectroChem
Top marks.

Yes, DPDT relay as the intermediate, controlled by SP 1-way switch, with two 2-ways. The only disadvantage is that the relay coil is sometimes on when the light is off (depending on the 2-way settings) and might be consuming power most of the time.

If there is a momentary (retractive) switch available in the appropriate range, then a European style alternate-action relay, push on, push off is another possibility. The three N/O switches are connected in parallel and the coil only draws power when one of them is pressed. Popular in France, a.k.a. télérupteur.
Télérupteur description

@Megawatt - interesting difference in terminology: UK 2-way = US 3-way, UK 3-way = US 4-way but the 4-way switch itself we call an intermediate. So in US terms the OP's problem is that there is no 4-way switch available in the styling they want.

The simple solution is to put one switch over the centre of the bed (headboard) instead of one each side.

If appearance isn’t an issue now;

LightwaveRF.
Smart switch that doesn’t require a neutral (but does need a filament lamp as the load rather than LED) in place of bedroom switch. Battery operated remote switches either side of bed, both paired with the wired Master switch.

Other smart switches are available that could do the same job.

And now we're back at the original problem. Does anyone know of a 2 way pull switch ?
Yes. Just about every lighting pull switch is 2-way. Even Screwfix sell them!:tongueout:

pedant warning. Yes I know DP switches aren’t 2 way, and I expect you cannot buy 2-way pull switches in Poundland. Etc.
https://www.screwflix..com/p/10ax-2-way-pull-cord-switch-white/70874

Reply to 3 way switching relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock