uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 3 way switching relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I could make it work with a DPDT relay. Perhaps positioned in the roof near the light fitting in question.
The only such relays I'm familiar with would definitely need to be inside an enclosure, they're not IP rated or touch protected to be loose in the wall/roof and wouldn't qualify as maintenance free.
Although as suggested by @pc1966 it would need a neutral for the relay coil, I think wiring a dpdt relay to mimic the action of an intermediate switch is a creative and an excellent solution to a difficult problem.

These Aussies are not as daft as some of them pretend to be!!

@ElectroChem
Top marks.

Aico 3000
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Yes, DPDT relay as the intermediate, controlled by SP 1-way switch, with two 2-ways. The only disadvantage is that the relay coil is sometimes on when the light is off (depending on the 2-way settings) and might be consuming power most of the time.

If there is a momentary (retractive) switch available in the appropriate range, then a European style alternate-action relay, push on, push off is another possibility. The three N/O switches are connected in parallel and the coil only draws power when one of them is pressed. Popular in France, a.k.a. télérupteur.
Télérupteur description

@Megawatt - interesting difference in terminology: UK 2-way = US 3-way, UK 3-way = US 4-way but the 4-way switch itself we call an intermediate. So in US terms the OP's problem is that there is no 4-way switch available in the styling they want.

snowhead

snowhead

-
Mentor
The simple solution is to put one switch over the centre of the bed (headboard) instead of one each side.

James

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
The simple solution is to put one switch over the centre of the bed (headboard) instead of one each side.
Could be like a disco when the headboard starts rattling!

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
If appearance isn’t an issue now;

LightwaveRF.
Smart switch that doesn’t require a neutral (but does need a filament lamp as the load rather than LED) in place of bedroom switch. Battery operated remote switches either side of bed, both paired with the wired Master switch.

Other smart switches are available that could do the same job.

Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

-
Esteemed
Arms
And now we're back at the original problem. Does anyone know of a 2 way pull switch 😂
Yes. Just about every lighting pull switch is 2-way. Even Screwfix sell them!:tongueout:

pedant warning. Yes I know DP switches aren’t 2 way, and I expect you cannot buy 2-way pull switches in Poundland. Etc.

A

acutting

-
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. Just about every lighting pull switch is 2-way. Even Screwfix sell them!:tongueout:

pedant warning. Yes I know DP switches aren’t 2 way, and I expect you cannot buy 2-way pull switches in Poundland. Etc.
Well I never, never thought there would be a demand for one! I guess you could have a pull cord over the bog in case it gets dark whilst you're there.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Reply to 3 way switching relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom