CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 3183Y Pond Flex frustrations. The "proper" way to strip this material in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Good evening folk,
Recently took a role that involves using a lot of 2.5 mm 3183Y "pond flex".
Is there an easy way to strip the outer sheath without risk of nicking the inner core insulation? Slicing and tugging might have been OK for the occasional garden light install but something faster and less chance of damage is called for; not that I wanna be mistaken for a professional or nuffin'!

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just practice with a sharp knife.... score a ring around the flex and then bend in different directions until it splits open. Slide off the outer sheath.

All these tools that claim to strip cables automatically are next to useless unless you get a really good ones.

What needs 2.5mm flex?

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
One method, although you might struggle with 2.5mm², is to score and then use an auto stripper.

I bought 100m of 1.5mm² 3183Y white, as it all the wholesalers had, and have been slowly working through it using this method.

Gives a really nice finish but 2.5mm² probably won't fit in the jaws.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i have a ringing sheath stripper but it's poor on pond flex as the sheath is so soft. a sharp knife or a scalpel is the answer, used carefully. sometimes easier to slice the sheath longitudinally and peel back then cut.

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The only successful way I've ever stripped 3183Y is to push a small screwdriver in from the cut end, force the point of the screwdriver through the sheath, then pull the point back, splitting the sheath as it goes. If you need more sheath removed, hold all three cores in one hand, the sheath in the other and pull. Trim the removed sheath neatly with side cutters.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have not found an easy universal way yet :(

I tend to score round with a Stanley knife and then bend to split the outer, but you need considerable care not to nick the primary insulation, and if you need long tails its not always easy to pull off without stretching the primary insulation either. Length-wise score and using the cores to split sideways also works, but again not always easy.

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am probably trying variations of your methods but the "stretchyness" of 3183Y is what makes it resilient in use and so laughs off attempts to to dismantle it. Thanks for all your input.

Reply to 3183Y Pond Flex frustrations. The "proper" way to strip this material in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.