Discuss 3183Y Pond Flex frustrations. The "proper" way to strip this material in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
Good evening folk,
Recently took a role that involves using a lot of 2.5 mm 3183Y "pond flex".
Is there an easy way to strip the outer sheath without risk of nicking the inner core insulation? Slicing and tugging might have been OK for the occasional garden light install but something faster and less chance of damage is called for; not that I wanna be mistaken for a professional or nuffin'!

Just practice with a sharp knife.... score a ring around the flex and then bend in different directions until it splits open. Slide off the outer sheath.

All these tools that claim to strip cables automatically are next to useless unless you get a really good ones.

What needs 2.5mm flex?

One method, although you might struggle with 2.5mm², is to score and then use an auto stripper.

I bought 100m of 1.5mm² 3183Y white, as it all the wholesalers had, and have been slowly working through it using this method.

Gives a really nice finish but 2.5mm² probably won't fit in the jaws.

i have a ringing sheath stripper but it's poor on pond flex as the sheath is so soft. a sharp knife or a scalpel is the answer, used carefully. sometimes easier to slice the sheath longitudinally and peel back then cut.

The only successful way I've ever stripped 3183Y is to push a small screwdriver in from the cut end, force the point of the screwdriver through the sheath, then pull the point back, splitting the sheath as it goes. If you need more sheath removed, hold all three cores in one hand, the sheath in the other and pull. Trim the removed sheath neatly with side cutters.

I have not found an easy universal way yet :(

I tend to score round with a Stanley knife and then bend to split the outer, but you need considerable care not to nick the primary insulation, and if you need long tails its not always easy to pull off without stretching the primary insulation either. Length-wise score and using the cores to split sideways also works, but again not always easy.

Thanks guys. I am probably trying variations of your methods but the "stretchyness" of 3183Y is what makes it resilient in use and so laughs off attempts to to dismantle it. Thanks for all your input.

I have not found an easy universal way yet :(

I tend to score round with a Stanley knife and then bend to split the outer, but you need considerable care not to nick the primary insulation, and if you need long tails its not always easy to pull off without stretching the primary insulation either. Length-wise score and using the cores to split sideways also works, but again not always easy.

The stripper I linked a video of in post #5 covers both of these issues. Probably most useful for Hi-tuff/Tuff sheath, but looks as though it would be perfectly suited to this application.

The stripper I linked a video of in post #5 covers both of these issues. Probably most useful for Hi-tuff/Tuff sheath, but looks as though it would be perfectly suited to this application.
I have a tool similar to that (from RS many years ago) and works well on Flexishield but not tried using it on the softer PCB style of cables. The cutter blade is adjustable but only intended for 1mm or so thick outers, still, that might score enough and do so safely.

Reply to 3183Y Pond Flex frustrations. The "proper" way to strip this material in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock