Discuss 3ph star delta starter motor drawing high amps in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Star delta starter / motor problem.
Starter starts runs as should on bench with no motor connected. Getting 230v to e on all 6 uvw 1s and uvw2. 415 u1 to v2 etc etc. But nothing 1 to 2s. As expected.
When motor connected up. (Single speed) it takes 3a in start on all . Drops into run fine but is taking 38a on all.
After 5 seconds it trips breaker.

Any ideas were to start. As both out of stores as spares and checking they work but now stumped

Is this a recent problem on an existing motor or an issue on a new install.
PS. No such thing as a star/delta motor.

how long has it been in stores? corrosion ? have you taken it apart or blown pressurised air through it?

could be a few things, im no expert on motorwindings but when they lose balance tends to be when things go pete tong, was there a reason it was stored away no longer used or was it working last time it was tested?

3ph star delta starter motor drawing high amps {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Starter starts runs as should on bench with no motor connected. Getting 230v to e on all 6 uvw 1s and uvw2. 415 u1 to v2 etc etc. But nothing 1 to 2s. As expected.
When motor connected up. (Single speed) it takes 3a in start on all . Drops into run fine but is taking 38a on all.
When you say the Starter runs OK with no Motor connected, are you saying the Starter operates as it should? and what do you mean by single speed?
If the Motor is starting, and connecting the Motor's winding in a Star configuration, but trips when it changes into a delta mode, then it sounds like you have either a faulty Motor, of you have it wired up incorrectly.

Any ideas were to start. As both out of stores as spares and checking they work but now stumped

No not blown it out but it runs fine when connected to dol started with links in motor 3 wire.
It seems like losing a phase / low voltage high current???

Why do you need to start it via star delta if you are able to start it DOL, how big is the motor and are the windings rated 415/690 or there abouts?

How are you connecting the links when starting DOL I presume star as you say it starts fine when connected up to the star delta.

My bets on delta contactor in starter... although I can't understand from your original post if you've checked this?

Why do you need to start it via star delta if you are able to start it DOL, how big is the motor and are the windings rated 415/690 or there abouts?

How are you connecting the links when starting DOL I presume star as you say it starts fine when connected up to the star delta.

My bets on delta contactor in starter... although I can't understand from your original post if you've checked this?
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-star-delta-starter-preferred-with-an-induction-motor

Last edited:

Reply to 3ph star delta starter motor drawing high amps in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock