Discuss 4-pin fluorescent to LED help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tjm516

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I am having trouble with this 4-pin G24q light fixture conversion to LEDs.

It says to cut the red, blue, black and white wires from the ballast and connect the reds to black and blues to white. I did that, however it doesnt work, my ballast still has 2 yellow wires and I am not sure what to do with them. Here are the pictures of what I'm dealing with.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, I don't really know what I'm doing.

TL;DR
My ballast has 2 more wires than it normally would and I don't know what to do about them in order to bypass it.

Attachments

• 4-pin fluorescent to LED help 20210713_205155 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210713_205155.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4-pin fluorescent to LED help 20210713_205231 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210713_205231.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 28
It is normally quite easy to do conversion. You have to get rid of the ballast, bypass it and wire the mains in directly to the LED. There should be a wiring diagram with the LED. Can you show us that? But in any event forget about the ballast and wire the live/neutral straight to the LED lamp. Remember LED require the correct polarity. It will not work the wrong way around.

DC LEDs require the correct polarity but these are AC.
Ultimately all that is required is to put hot and neutral onto the correct two pins of the lamp sockets.

Last edited:
I'm really at a loss here...

So the main black and white wires, one is bundled with red which leads into the 2 hot (I assume) sockets on the one lamp. The other is bundled with blue which leads to the opposite lamp. There is a single black wire connecting the two lamps and a yellow wire from each that was connected to the ballast.

I bundled the wires together like that based on what the instructions that came with the LEDs told me to do. I don't understand why it doesn't work or how to figure out how to do it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 4-pin fluorescent to LED help 20210808_112920 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210808_112920.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 4-pin fluorescent to LED help 20210808_113306 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210808_113306.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 4-pin fluorescent to LED help 20210808_113256 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210808_113256.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 14
The instructions you have would work for a ballast and one lamp wired with red and blue, but you have two lamps. I believe it should be wired as the (rough!) sketch below.
Connect all the blue and red lampholder wires together to one incoming power cable (eg white)
and connect all the black and yellow lampholder wires together to the other incoming power cable (eg black).
You might need something better than wire nuts to do this. Ensure you have the power off!

I suspect the LED lamps may have the pairs of pins already connected together, so maybe only one wire from each side of each lampholder is needed, but this would leave you having to insulate the 'spare' wires. Don't just cut them off leaving bare ends ⚡

Attachments

• 4-pin fluorescent to LED help 732462CA-18C9-4699-A3C8-4010250A03C7 - EletriciansForums.net
    732462CA-18C9-4699-A3C8-4010250A03C7.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Since you mention the black going from one lampholder to the other, and nowhere else, you could try connecting the two yellows to the black power source, leaving the black interconnection between the lampholders alone. That would save having to cut it!
You will still need to connect the other side of the lampholders (blues, reds) as before.

The instructions you have would work for a ballast and one lamp wired with red and blue, but you have two lamps. I believe it should be wired as the (rough!) sketch below.
Connect all the blue and red lampholder wires together to one incoming power cable (eg white)
and connect all the black and yellow lampholder wires together to the other incoming power cable (eg black).
You might need something better than wire nuts to do this. Ensure you have the power off!

I suspect the LED lamps may have the pairs of pins already connected together, so maybe only one wire from each side of each lampholder is needed, but this would leave you having to insulate the 'spare' wires. Don't just cut them off leaving bare ends ⚡
That did the trick! Thank you so much. Do you have a PayPal or something where I can send you some $$$?

Reply to 4-pin fluorescent to LED help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock