Discuss 4mm radial from ring feeding CUs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

my boss is trying to have me sign off a job someone has done.
4mm radial off a ring main feeding 2 CUs in shed all MCBd correctly. RCD protected. NOT FED OFF FUSE SPUR

Is there any reg this may no satisfy. It all seems okay due to ratings of cable etc but I’m not confident

thanks

It does not comply, and is pretty terrible installation design to boot.

You cannot feed more than one point from an unfused spur, being 4mm doesn't change this. The setup you have will concentrate a heavy load on one point of the ring which is non compliant and can cause excess current to flow in one side of the ring.

Afternoon all,

my boss is trying to have me sign off a job someone has done.
4mm radial off a ring main feeding 2 CUs in shed all MCBd correctly. RCD protected. NOT FED OFF FUSE SPUR

Is there any reg this may no satisfy. It all seems okay due to ratings of cable etc but I’m not confident

thanks
I you are unsure don't sign from what I can see from your post, your boss is asking you to commit professional suicide mate. Walk away, stick to your guns wrongful dismissal will be you're defence, should he try to sack you. Why would any sane Electrician agree to agree to a 4mm2 cable from a RFC IN 2.5mm cable ludicrous suggestion.

I totally agree is awful design and my boss being qualified up to the 14th edition at most.

thanks for your inputs I’ll pass the message on ?
Does your Boss belong to a CPS Provider? If yes he should know better.

Last edited:
When you say sign off for someone else is it a job by a third party and not the company that employs you.

Only way of this install being complied is a spur supplying the 4mm which is what I can only recommend before touching it
Why would you spur a spur with 4mm from an RFC of 2.5MM don't make any sense whatsoever.

Sorry got my termination wrong. Supply the 4mm from a fused spur off the RF
[automerge]1597157581[/automerge]
When you say sign off for someone else is it a job by a third party and not the company that employs you.
My boss has basically sold this person all the gear to install himself and told him our company would sign off which I’m not happy about whatsoever

Sign it off as “M. Mouse” or “ D. Duck”

I’ve heard companies having one trained guy go around signing off everyone’s jobs.... but that’s other electricians (still shouldn’t be done)
What your boss is asking you to do is sign off a DIYer.

Sign your boss’s name.

If you are the third party ready to do the sign off, I would be walking away in any condition of the work.Why did your boss not get you the job.? Does the person who did the job work for him too.?

Sorry got my termination wrong. Supply the 4mm from a fused spur off the RF
[automerge]1597157581[/automerge]

My boss has basically sold this person all the gear to install himself and told him our company would sign off which I’m not happy about whatsoever
Niether would I mate the Boss is a chancer, more interested in a fast buck, than doing the right thing, get another job, or go self employed better than working for a Muppet that would be willing to use you as a scapegoat for his incompetence, contact the CPS Provider if he belongs to one.
[automerge]1597158995[/automerge]
I wish I knew the answer to that ?? tbh I’m miffed off at being put into Thai situation
Maybe a daft question, but do you belong to a trade association TU or any such organisation
'
[automerge]1597159114[/automerge]
I wish I knew the answer to that ?? tbh I’m miffed off at being put into Thai situation
Matey, your Boss wants outing as a Cowboy, the sooner the better.

Last edited:
IMO you have 3 solutions.
1 walk away and refuse to put your name to it.
2 fit a 13amp sfu adjacent the socket off the ring. (not a great design with all the accessories installed in the shed a waste)
3 Run a suitably sized cable back to the origin of the supply. (sub main)

You shouldn’t have to alter or install anything as you have not installed it , only signing it off as compliant with bs7671, so to me you have only one option, refuse to certify it.
Tell your boss to do it, as he’s the one who said his company will certify it.

Reply to 4mm radial from ring feeding CUs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net