Discuss 5A lighting sockets circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
Doing a new build barn conversion installation and the lighting has been designed by a consultant. They've specified some 5A sockets for plug in lamps.. never done these before although I know the plugs and sockets are available.. round pin type.
Some of the arrangements are for 2 way switching so am I right in thinking the only way to do this is to treat the socket as basically the lamp and switch it locally using standard 2 way switches and intermediates adjacent to the sockets?
I'm planning to use dedicated 6A radial circuits using 1.5mm t&e does this sound ok?. There are a maximum of 6 outlets on each radial ..
Cheers..

You can put the switches where you want but three plating won't be practical as the sockets don't have loop in terminals so bring the live and neutral to the switches and connect that way.

Yes that's what I figured.. for bedside lamps there are also 2 way switches either bedside for the ceiling light too so I was going to put in 2 way 2 gang switches each side of the bed for 2 way switching of ceiling and bedside lamps..

Ok...., I do have plenty of ways in a 16 way con unit though so I thought it would give a bit of convenience to put all the 5A lighting skts on a separate mcb. I think there's 3 x 5A radials, 2 upstairs and 1 downstairs so these could go in one or maybe 2 mcbs.

about 5 years. Yes I agree it would be easiest and cheapest option to have them all on lighting circuit. just thought as I have the spare ways at dB it would bnice to segregate them. it's quite a large and complex lighting circuit as it is with sensor ensuite lights and extra wall lights everywhere etc. thanks for all helpful replies..

about 5 years. Yes I agree it would be easiest and cheapest option to have them all on lighting circuit. just thought as I have the spare ways at dB it would bnice to segregate them. it's quite a large and complex lighting circuit as it is with sensor ensuite lights and extra wall lights everywhere etc. thanks for all helpful replies..

Wouldn't it be better to split the one large lighting circuit into two smaller ones?

Reply to 5A lighting sockets circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net