Discuss 6 security lights 2 pir's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I would like to have 6 x 10w security lights down my 60 metre drive with a pir at the top and bottom of the drive. I have a wiring diagram and anticipate using 3 core plus earth cable but would like advice on the thickness of cable required. Many thanks

Work out your load, cable length, cable route, installation method and work out cable size accordingly. Installation method will dictate which type of cable to use. What are you intending on using?

load. 60 watts equates to (60/240) = 0.25A which is negligible, but allow for some wriggle room and don't forget inrush current is high for a few milliseconds. it's possible that the limiting factor is more that if the PIRs can handle it without frying.

load. 60 watts equates to (60/240) = 0.25A which is negligible, but allow for some wriggle room and don't forget inrush current is high for a few milliseconds. it's possible that the limiting factor is more that if the PIRs can handle it without frying.
Thank you. The 4 core (3 plus earth) cables available on the market are 1.5mm 2.5mm and 4mm. Can you advise if the 1.5mm would suffice for my project.

1.5mm cable should be fine. it's such a small load, volt drop should not cause problems either, but should be calculated anyway.

Reply to 6 security lights 2 pir's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views
Hi, Heavy industrial spark here, never do house bashing hence the question. I currently have a light switch at the front door not doing anything...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I was thinking to add some lights like in the attached image, basically twin batten lights to my attic but i'm not familiar with strip...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock