Discuss A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Automated testing can speed cal processes up no end. Calibration has moved on significantly over the years

I would have thought that operating temperatures within the MFT would have to be stabilised before any meaningful tests can be carried out against the manufacturers specification, this can't be accomplished by a walk in test?

I would have thought that operating temperatures within the MFT would have to be stabilised before any meaningful tests can be carried out against the manufacturers specification, this can't be accomplished by a walk in test?
I would guess many dont really care.They want their MFT back and as cheap as possible .They just presume they work until something really goes wrong with it .

That is the aspect of my MFT I can't check myself. The closest I can do is test one of my home sockets to see it has not changed much which, while better than nothing, is not quite enough to be sure.

I have a CalCard and really would recommend it as a handy way to check the low/high R ranges. I also have other meters that can be used to verify AC volts but the Zs & RCD stuff then I only have the one MFT.
I have a non-rcd socket near my CSU for testing Zs and using an RCD plug only for testing MFT, I also use 50m reel cable for resistance. These are solid state devices, the connections,clips leads are more susceptible to variation...keep a history of tests. Any real variation after replacing leads etc ...get it calibrated....every year is OTT.

Well I thought I would update the Leighton Buzzard Edmundson's info as free food and drinks and the fact it states 'Stratton Food Hall' I imagine it's top nosh. That's breakfast and dinner sorted, I'm banking on loads of other freebies 😂

A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) Untitled - EletriciansForums.net

Not sure about qualifications, but Time Electronics make all sorts of precision standards and cal kits. This one is about £5k and does MFT:

Of course you need to have the cal kit calibrated by someone with even better equipment...all the way to the NPL or similar!

I have a couple of Time products, including their 1068 resistor standard (0.01% to 0.1% depending on value) and 1044 DC voltage/current calibrator (0.05%) but after work changes they have not been back for factory/standards lab cal.

I don't think any qualifications needed, just an understanding of using the kit.

There is also of course the expense of the various programming leads and software.

£60 for pushing a few buttons most of the time.

All calibration services seem to be poor and appear to be nothing more than a calibration 'check' and a piece of paper to say how far out the calibration is. OK so a range is out by 0.3, but they don't adjust the internal settings to correct this, which seems pointless. I have an inaccurate Fluke clamp meter in one of my MFT kits, when you switch it on, no cable clamped, it reads 0.5Amps. That was passed as all OK!

I also sent in a KT63 to Kewtechs repair and calibration service as the IR function provided no voltage output. They said all it needed was new software and they loaded a crappy newer version onto the tester (the previous version worked better), 'calibrated' it and sent it back as passing all tests. The insulation test still had no output!!!!! I ended up repairing it myself by resoldering the joints on the high voltage transformer as all the joints were badly cracked.

Reply to A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock