Discuss A Day Plumb-Stumbling in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been having trouble with the monobloc kitchen sink tap - drip drip drip. Quarter turn ceramic disc type. I ignored it till sufficient badgering had been accumulated and thought I'd look into it. Take all rubbish out from under sink, turn off isolation valves. Both valves start dribbling out of the centre screw. Great. Stop there, go to Screwfix pick up a couple of Pegler valves (hope they last longer than the previous no-names) and grab a couple of new ceramic valves. All set. Remove and replace offending insert. Leak fixed, small party thrown. I know, I'll just do the other ... why not, I've got the extra valve? Seems rude not to. Big spanner, applying generous ft lbs of torque, pop, I've busted the gooseneck spout. Must be time for a drink.
Oh, and by-the-by, I do now have wet pants.

IMG_0404.jpg

Splashed out on a new sink mixer and got it installed. Old one was ok (until it leaked and then I broke it) but looked like a cheap one (probably why it leaked and I broke it ...). New chap is a Bristan and he's quite handsome, no drips, nice heavy feel etc. All is well in Casa del Wilko ! Apart from the light wallet, wet pants, sore back and skin off me pate :)

IMG_0430.JPG

We had a new combi boiler installed a few months back and the plumbers had an issue with no hot water from kitchen sink tap.
All other hot taps fine.
Next to sink is a dishwasher with hot and cold feeds (hot not used there in case a washing machine ever went in)
So I attempt to loosen the hot feed tap to check we get hot water there and the whole top assembly comes off.
Hot mains pressure water now trying to escape very quickly and splash into the space that also contains the mains power for the DW.
Fun and games turning the water off and a good few gallons of water later we have capped the feed.
Opened the kitchen tap and the ceramic valve was bunged with pipe debris. Cleaned out and all good.

Reply to A Day Plumb-Stumbling in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock