Discuss A quick check on if replacement CU is required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had a new extension done recently and the extension electrics have been added to the ring main of the downstairs sockets etc accordingly. I am being told though the work can not be signed of unless the plastic CU fitted only 3 years back is changed for a Metal one following Jan 2016 regs. Their are no new connections to the CU as part of the extension, so can someone confirm this is correct as it seems its an additional £250 Supply and fit for this.

Thanks

No its not correct that the consumer unit has to be upgraded. As long as there is an RCD protecting the circuit, the circuit tests out fine and earthing and bonding are up to scratch then the jobs a goodun.

Take a look at the FAQ's of this link.
Consumer units: a brief overview - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/59/consumer-units/index.cfm

I thought it sounded strange. Its only a 3 year old double RCD CU, the extension has simply added 6 double plugs into the downstairs ring and 4 lights into the downstairs radial lighting circuit. I was quoted £125 inspect, sign off on top of the work that had been done but when CU was seen, advised this needed to be metal and theirefor bill would be £350 all in. I have used the electrician before and like him and sent customers his way. But just something sounded wrong about this.

I had a new extension done recently and the extension electrics have been added to the ring main of the downstairs sockets etc accordingly. I am being told though the work can not be signed of unless the plastic CU fitted only 3 years back is changed for a Metal one following Jan 2016 regs. Their are no new connections to the CU as part of the extension, so can someone confirm this is correct as it seems its an additional £250 Supply and fit for this.

Thanks
It could be that the electrician generally believes that he is correct and you must have a metal cu end of.
If that's the case you need to educate him :)

Who did the work in the extension?
If they thought it needed a new C.U then they should have said when they quoted before work started.

How come they suddenly noticed the plastic C.U?

It would appear someone has added to the ring and now someone else is being asked (paid ) to sign it off to satisfy B.C?

He should also not be charging an extra £125 to test ,that should of been part of the original job unless that was just the break down of the quote , All new electrical work has to be tested before its put into service . Also agree with other no need to change CU

Hello.

I hired a builder, the cost of the build included everything including electrics. The building work was fine but I was not happy with the electrics, i.e missing grommets, no sleeving on earths, no earth to back box etc. The builder was not an electrician but said his mate was and would sign it off. That never happened. I fixed the issues, as I have some experience from what my father showed me. I called in an electrician I had used before and trusted to sign it off for BC. He came to see, said the electrics were fine, I was correct to sort earthing etc out but only issue as could not sign it off as since Jan 2016 Metal CU was required. So this is full story. I like the electrician, I did not want to make it sound like he did work and then trying to get extra bucks at end. Builder was paid to do job and failed. BC wont sign off without Cert, so I had to call in the only electrician I have ever used. I assume though all this makes no difference as a Metal Box is not required.

I think the initial £125 for inspect/test sign off was fair. It was only the box I am CU I am questioning.

Hope this helps.

agree with others. if the electrician was installing a new CU it would have to be metal to comply with amd.3 (2015), butr there's no requirement to replace a perfectly good plastic CU.

To be brutally honest, your mate can't really sign it off as a third party certifier because I'm guessing he didn't see it at first fix stage to confirm everything was kosher with the installation work?

Or is it that building control are wanting an EICR for a regularisation process rather than an EIC?

Edit:-

What I mean by the opening paragraph is... I wouldn't be willing to sign it off using an EIC as a third party certifier... is he?

To be fair , the electrician you have is aware that he shouldn't be issuing an Installation Cert and as I would do is just carry out an EICR , because he hasn't designed and installed any of the work , just simply testing it only , so in a round about what is suggesting a replacement CU as a way of issuing an Installation Cert to satisfy yourself and BC ...

Hello

As i am a bit hot i.e carefull on electrics and watching my Dad for years. I noted every part of what happened and corrected when wrong i.e the builder tried to connect to both sides of the existing house sockets which would have created a figure eight double ring or whatever you would call it, as i had already noted both sides when taken from plug were still live. I mentioned this and said take one set of wires from one plug and connect to that for extension leaving other set attached to socket and then bring the extension loop back to that socket, theirfor extending ring correctly. I did this part as he disagreed but electrician confirmed this is 100% correct way. I also put blanking plates whereever theirs a join etc. So electrics can be checked easly. I beleive this is why electrician having seen all this is happy to certify but saying i need a metal CU. If builder had done what i paid, no issues. But i was left in the mess and trying to correct as last part BC want to see on their computers.

Hope this helps.

For what you have said although done correctly you have undertaken small part of installation. As Sparkychick posted this installation SHOULD have been tested before energised and put into service therefore if done could have been incorporated into the builders building control . Your electrician as said can only do a EICR based upon BS7671 Amd 3 and therefore has ADVISED that the consumer unit does not comply with this as it is not of metal construction.

Reply to A quick check on if replacement CU is required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net