• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss A127 Alternator Indicator Light Sizing in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

aesmith

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm intending to fit a standard A127 type alternator to my Chinese tractor, replacing the original with it's troublesome external regulator. I'm happy with the wiring and principles except for one thing ... can anyone put a figure to the current needed via the indicator light in order to kick the alternator into life? There's no charge warning light at the moment so I need to fit one, and wondered what size bulb is needed. Also wondering about fitting an LED indicator with a resistor in parallel to provide enough current.

Thanks in advance, Tony S

Hi,
I'm intending to fit a standard A127 type alternator to my Chinese tractor, replacing the original with it's troublesome external regulator. I'm happy with the wiring and principles except for one thing ... can anyone put a figure to the current needed via the indicator light in order to kick the alternator into life? There's no charge warning light at the moment so I need to fit one, and wondered what size bulb is needed. Also wondering about fitting an LED indicator with a resistor in parallel to provide enough current.

Thanks in advance, Tony S
There's a thread about this here, it doesn't sound too critical, if you want an LED it looks as though you can fit a 47 ohm 10W resistor in place of the lamp and connect the LED/series resistor across that.

Hi,rule of thumb,with all the Lucas type stuff,was 2.2w filament lamp,usually screw type. Some didn't need one,others would not charge without one...no self respecting auto-electrician,would be short of one in his tool bag. Try it with a slightly easier to source lamp,like a 3w capless,wiring is straight forward,just ensure the charge lamp feed,goes through the ignition switch :)

Thanks, I think I'll check the installation with a 2.2 or 3W bulb as suggested then look into LED for the final fit. Reason for LED is that I want the indicator to be weatherproof.

Reply to A127 Alternator Indicator Light Sizing in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back